"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-11-2007, 11:16 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Arrow Your thoughts on a DCS range please...

We are planning on buying a 36" range. We are leaning towards a DCS 6 burner all gas unit. We are not bakers so what I understand to be the dry heat advantage of an electric oven won't affect us too much. We've been looking into an interesting 20" grill/griddle pan to use when needed, so it seems like the most versatility is with the 6 burners. The DCs claims to go to 17,500 BTU's and simmer down to 140 degrees. Any thoughts you have on this would be very appreciated, particularly if you know about DCS products and their reliability/functionality.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I have used DCS products at CIA (Culinary Institute of America) and they are fine and reliable. I believe they are now a subsidiary of Fisher and Paykel.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:23 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the input. They are owned by FP now.

I also forgot to ask opinions on hoods. We are considering a 36" chimney style unit, possibly a Zephyr Venezia. Any thoughts?
Old 06-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #4
Executive Chef

THe hood needs to be vented outside and needs to move enough air for the size range you are getting. Your sales rep for the range should be able to size it and recommend an appropriate list of options. Personally I have a WOlf 36" dual fuel range and a Faber hood. I have been very pleased with both. At CIA I have used the DCS 60" all gas proranges and have had no issues...only great results! Just remember as in all things a fancy powerful range requires regular cleaning, upkeep, etc, and it is more work, but I think well worth the effort.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:47 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

What model Faber do you have? How noisy is it? How is the grease collection?
Old 06-25-2007, 08:05 AM   #6
Senior Cook

I've got the 36" cook top. While I like the unit and everything, the diameter of the burners is just a little too big for day to day cooking. On the wok burner, the center is always cold because the ring is so big.

For the same price, I wish I would have bought the F-P cooktop which has a variety of burner sizes and the center wok burner has an inner and outer ring for more even heating.

Oh, and yes, the simmer does go pretty low.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

DCS makes very high quality gas ranges.