"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 10-19-2005, 11:35 PM   #1
Head Chef

Question Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread ??

Hi, Does anyone have The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread ??

I want to get feedback on how you like the book. Is it worth space on your bookshelf or rather a library check out book? All the reviews on Amazon.com were really positive. The only thing that anyone thought remotely negative about the book was the duration of time it took to make the breads.

What do my DC pals think?

Old 10-20-2005, 05:13 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Htc,

I was lucky and got the book when I bought my hearth kit. It's a lovely book and yes the duration for breads is long. But, you really get a superior bread by following the books directions..I found it intimidating at first, new words, long instructions, but, I dug in my heels and find I am determined to make these breads and make them right...Go take a peek at the book first before you buy it...See if you want to get that involved... If so get the book the pictures alone are worth it If I were just starting to make breads, I'd probably run for cover, but, I've done this for a time and really love the process and results of making m own breads...DH bought me a breadmaker, but, it just sits there collecting dust I love getting into the dough the kneading and such...Makes one feel like they have really done something when that bread comes out of the oven...
Now that I've talked you to death..Give the book a look and see what you think about it..I love it and the other bread book that came with it, bread made easy by Beth Hensperger it's a wonderful book and the recipe for callah bread is wonderful

kadesma

Old 10-20-2005, 10:02 PM   #3
Head Chef

Kadesma, I put the book on hold at the library. I'll let you know how I like it. I have just started dabbling with bread making again. Before I would knead by hand, which I found really hard. Now I have a kitchenaid stand mixer and love how easy it seems to make bread.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:30 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Htc,

I had trouble at first with kneading, but, I finally got the hang of it and love doing it now..Some of the recipes in this book are what I call wet and messy to knead by hand, so I use my Kitchen aid stand mixer as well, it does a beautiful job..I hope you enjoy the book, I think you will, I've seen your cakes so I know you really love what you do and I'll bet your bread is as beautiful as your cake...BTW, saw your rolls you made, they looked great.

kadesma
Old 10-22-2005, 08:29 AM   #5
Head Chef

Thanks Kadesma! I can't wait to get the book. While I wait, I am going to try my hand a making a loaf of white or whole wheat bread.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:03 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

That sounds great, I love all breads, now you've given me the bread making bug I think I'll go do a french bread for tomorrow, ooops maybe I should do 2 just in case.

kadesma
Old 10-22-2005, 06:28 PM   #7
Head Chef

2 is much better than one any day!!
Old 10-22-2005, 07:49 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Of course, if you can get it from your library, do so. Only you know whether it is worth the purchase price. Look it over first and decide whether it is suited for your cookbook library.

The book is definitely geared towards the serious home bread-maker with equal value for a professional baker.

I like the copious pix - especially of dough(s) before baking, shaping techniques, bread interiors.

If you want to know *why* things happen the way they do, the book is excellent.

The recipes cover many types of bread - the emphasis is on freeform artisan style breads made with a preferment - there is also a good section on sourdough (among many excellent recipes).

This is the best of Reinhart's books and I would recommend it. Just remember, no one knows everything so don't be afraid to experiment or modify his recipes for your own kitchen and baking style.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:47 PM   #9
Head Chef

Thanks subfuscpersona! I am in the process of making the light wheat loaf as we speak. My biggest fear is that it will taste great out of the oven and on the first day, but then on the second or third day, it won't taste so good and be hard and dry.

How do you experienced bread makers slice even pieces for sandwiches? I'm going to walk to my local bread store and beg nicely for them to use their machine to cut my loaf, if I have time. (Of course I'll have to pick up some of the store sweets while I'm there. )
Old 10-23-2005, 10:01 PM   #10
Head Chef

Hey kadesma, subfuscpersona, check this out!!!

This is my first loaf from the book! It's a light wheat. I am trying REALLY REALLY hard to follow the recommendations from the book and let it cool at least an hour or two before slicing into it. Man, this is really hard but I want to follow the advice to try the bread as the author intended.

I'm so exicted!!