Garlic and Sapphires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
Not exactly a cookbook; by Ruth Reichl, editor of Gourmet magazine; the story of her life as the NY Times food critic. Not only are the stories hilarious, sad, maddening, re the restaurants, but the stories of her metamorphosis as she dons her disguises to get in unnoticed, and how it affected her life. Wonderful read! Even DH sat down and just inhaled it! She's an amazing writer, makes you 'see' the food she's writing about.

No, I haven't, but it's sure on my list now! There's another one, too - something, something to the table? Can't remember the title.

I really love the way she writes; her editorials were becoming the only interesting thing about Gourmet Magazine when I was still getting it!

yeah, I'm pretty sick of Gourmet too, marm. The latest issue is pretty lame. My subscription will expire soon and die a natural death.

Is the 'on the table' one the one about her growing up?

Thanks for letting us know about that book, marm. I'll have to add it to my to-read list.

I feel the same way about Gourmet as the two of you do. Each issue is progressively thinner with more and more ads. Unfortunately, I am, at most, half way through a two year subscription. I won't be renewing. It'll be Cooks Illustrated for me next time!

Didn't know she had a new book out, I'll be looking for it. Loved her previous two. I, too, don't think Gourmet is living up to its old standard, but cannot bring myself to let my subscription die ... I have every issue dating back to 1986 and use them often. Several times over the years I've though, gee, this isn't doing anything for me. But then they change format and I fall in love again. So I have my fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom