Good cooking DVDs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aleatory

Assistant Cook
Im about to move out of home and am looking forward to entertaining lots!

But I would love it if I could work off a DVD that shows you how to cook and prepare certain meals... I have never done that before so I dont know what to look for!

I dont have any necessities like vegan only or must contain veggies... just very standard meals done well.

I like Jaimie Olivers cooking, is it easy to work from his dvd's to create his meals?

I see Gordon Ramsey on TV, and it is too hard to follow his cooking on his shows. He just says things like "salt" "chilli" "simmer" etc without any real direction, measurements, timing, or anything!

Last edited:
Welcome to DC! I don't have any DVD's but there are several video sites (eg VideoJug - Life Explained. On Film. - which has some funny how to do videos that aren't related to cooking) as well as a few video links on DC. Delia Smith is a very step by step cook and is quite clear in her instructions from memory. Good for you to learn the basics from. Jamie Oliver works on the throw together principle and does things by taste so you probably need to have a bit of confidence to follow him by video alone but there again,, wouldn't a dvd have the recipes attached so that you can just use the dvd as a guide?

A good place to start is Amazon.com: "Cooking" DVD and VHS

Now, I don't know if these include the "complete recipes" (amounts) or just the cooking demonstrations. If these are just copies of the TV broadcasts - you will probably need to find the "companion cookbook" to get the complete recipe. Or, sometimes with the newer shows, you might be able to find the recipe on-line.

Hope this helps.

Im about to move out of home and am looking forward to entertaining lots!

But I would love it if I could work off a DVD that shows you how to cook and prepare certain meals... I have never done that before so I dont know what to look for!

I dont have any necessities like vegan only or must contain veggies... just very standard meals done well.

I like Jaimie Olivers cooking, is it easy to work from his dvd's to create his meals?

I see Gordon Ramsey on TV, and it is too hard to follow his cooking on his shows. He just says things like "salt" "chilli" "simmer" etc without any real direction, measurements, timing, or anything!

Jamie Oliver will be back on the Food Network mid January in a brand new cooking brand new cooking show. Forgot the name though.

Back
Top Bottom