How far back....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
do the cooking magazines you have subscriptions to run? I have a very hard time throwing cooking magazines away.... So I simply don't. I've got 11 years worth of several subscriptions just taking up valuable real estate on my shelves.

Admittedly, I don't refer to most of them. However, the christmas ones, the summer (usually means meat meat meat) ones and the harvest issues are all more to the front of the line. I've been making cookies from Gourmet's 12/95 issue all these years.

Do you dogear the pages you like? Do you just tear out the page and save it in a file? Or, do you hold onto them like a tiring swimmer will latch onto a bouy in the ocean?

And, just to prove that I am serious about keeping old magazines around, I have 5 issues, in close to excellent condition of The Delineator, a journal of fashiion, culture and fine arts, published by the Butterick Publishing Co. One issue is from 1893, one from 1894, two from 1895 and one from 1896!

So, what about you? How far back do yours go..and do you actually remember to flip through them?

I don't get cookbook subscriptions but I do have a lot of hardback cookbooks.

I am having a friend build me another shelf to hold a lot of my cookbooks.

What about just a magazine that caught your eye at the checkout line? I don't often make those impulse purchases...but still...when I do, I find it hard to throw those away, too.
Does your friend wanna be my friend???:kiss: I want a new shelf, too!

Last year I gave a friend who was going through a rough time three bags full of old cooking mags. It felt so good to have the empty space on my shelves! And I don't miss them at all. Any way... I only have a few years worth left now.

Vera,
You hit a nerve. I've got so much to say on the subject, but not the time right now and I will be (as they say around here) "out of pocket" most of tomorrow, so I will post my $2 million-worth on Thursday. Two cents doesn't come close to covering it. Great thread.

Katie E said:
Vera,
You hit a nerve. I've got so much to say on the subject, but not the time right now and I will be (as they say around here) "out of pocket" most of tomorrow, so I will post my $2 million-worth on Thursday. Two cents doesn't come close to covering it. Great thread.

I shall wait with baited breath..

I used to save alot of magazines, till I realized I very seldom go back and actually tried a recipe. They all so so good w/reading ! Then you forget about them while reading other recipes. Don't buy or save anymore - the internet is far easier and space efficient !! :)

I'm a sucker for any mag with a christmas theme on it.I still make cookies from one that I have had since 1976.Typing that just made me feel kind of old-but, I was only 16 at the time and that's not so old ;)
Love and energy, Vicki

I still have all of mine, going back to the 70's, and some old Gourmet from the 50's and 60's. ( I bought those in a second hand store :)). I've had to move a lot of them to the basement to make room for new cookbooks, but every once in awhile, I drag up a stack and read them. I still use many of the recipes in them. I never could bring myself to tear a recipe out and throw the magazine away.

A couple of years, at least. Same with the brewing mags.

We've got stacks of them with recipes that we want to try, but never remember to.

I think the oldest recipes in the house are in a small bartenders recipe book I have, it dates from just after the repeal of prohibition. (Yes, they are most all for drinks).

John

magazines in general I save....
but I am trying to reform (as I don't have the room) and am going through them and tearing out the pages that I want to keep, including recipes. The mags I will bring to the library as they have a table for "freebie" magazines. I pick up a lot of mine there too! plus thrift stores.
still have some mags that I will save in whole....

Now I have to find some way to store the pages besides throwing in a box... the organized side of me says 3-hole binder in plastic sleeves, but the frugal side of me says watch the cost-those plastic sleeves can add up.
so, for now, they're in boxes:ermm:

Thanks! the downside to that is I probably take more than I donate:mrgreen: vicious cycle.....
the library used to put out their older mags, but haven't seen any lately - I'll have to ask. gourmet, bon appetit. whole years worth. I think they keep 5 or 6 years on the shelf, then get rid of the oldest.

I don't subscribe to any cooking magazines presently, but when I did, I often bought the annual hardcover editions and then threw out the mags. Otherwise, my magazine philosophy in general is to keep just the recent year's worth. Maybe if I didn't collect cookbooks with such abandon, I would keep more mags around. :LOL:

Loprraine said:
I still have all of mine, going back to the 70's, and some old Gourmet from the 50's and 60's. ( I bought those in a second hand store :)). I've had to move a lot of them to the basement to make room for new cookbooks, but every once in awhile, I drag up a stack and read them. I still use many of the recipes in them. I never could bring myself to tear a recipe out and throw the magazine away.

I would love to just look at the advertisements from those magazines. That was what prompted me to purchase the magazines from the 1890s! The ads are so unusual!

ronjohn55 said:
A couple of years, at least. Same with the brewing mags.

We've got stacks of them with recipes that we want to try, but never remember to.

I think the oldest recipes in the house are in a small bartenders recipe book I have, it dates from just after the repeal of prohibition. (Yes, they are most all for drinks).

John

How did you come by that book??

suzyQ3 said:
I don't subscribe to any cooking magazines presently, but when I did, I often bought the annual hardcover editions and then threw out the mags. Otherwise, my magazine philosophy in general is to keep just the recent year's worth. Maybe if I didn't collect cookbooks with such abandon, I would keep more mags around. :LOL:

At some point in my life, my living space will be inundated with cooking/reading material and I'll be confined to a small corner....:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom