How Many Cookbooks Do You Have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have over 1000, and many of them are ones where I know exactly what page the particular favorite recipe is on. I just love to read cookbooks though. Some of my favorites are the ones from the churches I've been in, where "Gramma Snyder" has her oatmeal cookie, or "Mrs. Olsen" has her family Kringle recipe there. Then there are the ethnic cookbooks from the 20's and 30's that were put out by settlement houses that are so much fun to peruse. Three of my children have already put their dibs on certain of the cookbooks on my shelves. I've been able to find copies of some of our favorites at used book stores or on line, though I won't pay $70 for one. The hunt for a garage sale bargain is too hard to resist. But my cookbooks don't even come near to how many music books I have!

Oh my gosh Corey I haven't heard that guy in YEARS!!
I always liked
1 cup a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine
2 cup a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.....
and so on!

I have about 25? With the dawn of internet though I haven't bought many. It's much easier to find something online, or find 4 of the same recipe and make your own from them.
Now if you ask how many homemade cookbooks I have, made of printed off recipes.....

I think I'm too young to remember Justin Wilson... :neutral:

I probably have about 25 cookbooks, not including all the little booklets that come with appliances. Most of them are books I inherited or things my boyfriend had before we moved in together--I've only acquired three or four since I started cooking regularly. My favorite, although mainly for the nostalgia value, is the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook that was a wedding gift to my parents from my grandparents. Some pages are missing and in odd places, but I still use some of the recipes.

justin wilson was great! he's the first person that i ever saw fry a turkey.

i just got this year's free cookbook from costco. it's much better than previous years. it's not just "how to reheat our packaged foods" type of book. it has actual recipes using ingredients, not all prepared stuff.

I loved Justin. Actually he was from Louisiana and prided his Cajun roots. He was also a very funny storyteller and made a couple of records telling tales about duck hunting. He died in 2001.

Oh, so sad, we lost another great one!!:ohmy:

I had hoped that he was still alive. He WILL be missed. He and Julia Child were two of the great ones.

I used to wath him cook his authentic Cajiun-style meals every Saturday afternoon.

Yeah, long before celebrity chefs Emeril Lagasse, Bobby Flay, Raechal Ray and Paula Deen and Giada Delurentiis became famous, Justin and Jeff Smith (the Frugal Gourmet) were among the ones to watch.

Last edited:
Don't know.

Yeah, he was involved in a sex scandel with one of the teens who worked with him on the show. According to sources, he groped, and molested and had sex with one or more of them.

And then, once that was revealed, his show basically went south (kaput).

Last edited:
Which is too bad because he had a great show!
I have a hard time lookin at his face on his cookbooks now though....

Yeah, he denies the accusations, and I never heard what the outcome of that investigation was. Don't even know if the teens had backed the story. And yes, he DID have a great show.

No wonder there was no more info on the sex scandel! But I found out that he settled out of court, even though he was never really charged for the scandel.

I think I got one of two books by James Beard as wel. He's dead also. He died in '80.

Last edited:
Icluded in the cookbooks I own are those little papreback ones by such co's. as Pillsbury, Rival and the like.

These are usually found up front near the checkout counters in supermarkets where you are about to pay for your groceries. They sometimes include cookbooks on holiday baking, summer cooking (BBQ'ing), slow cooker recipes, diet cooking, diabetic recipes and such.

Anyone have any of these at all?

corey123-

checkout stand recipe booklets - oh yes, I have LOTS of these as well as normal cookbooks. I like collecting the picnic and the holiday ones, though I didn't get any this year.

OMG I wasn't even counting those, I have about 200 of em!
I had alot before, but when DH's grandma died, she told her daughters she really wanted me to take them. That dear woman thought I was a professional chef sometimes. I think she was a little overly impressed with me, she wasn't bad herself!

So sorry to hear that your husband's grandmother died.

But yes, I've got a ton of those as well, and also cooking mags by Paula Deen, Family Circle, Good Housekeeping, Ladies' Home Journal and such.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom