"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Cookbooks, Software etc.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I get the most use from Classical and Contemporary Italian Cooking for Professionals by Bruno Ellmer cmc. (containing everything from regional rustic to classic fine dining entrees.) It is to Italian Cuisine what Julia Child's Mastering the Art is to French Cuisine.
It does presume a familiarity with culinary techniques.

2 editions (hard cover with photos, soft cover text only; both are pricey and either is well worth having.)

Old 07-07-2008, 02:39 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Lightbulb See amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
The Silver Spoon is considered THE italian cooking bible right now.
Amazon says: Featuring over 2,000 recipes among its 1,200-plus pages, it's easy to see why this Italian version of The Joy of Cooking, billed as "the bible of authentic Italian cooking,"

I may buy this 1 next myself. Man that is a lot of recipes !! If I could only buy the inspiration, motivation and round tuits needed, I'd be in good shape.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:40 PM   #13
Head Chef

Here's alink for the silver spoon

The Silver Spoon - Italian Cookbook - Phaidon Press Ltd

I have it, its a good book, but presented in the way lots of Italian recipe books are, no pictures, very dry. :) (I love pictures). Its also not so pure rustic Italian cookery but rather the general cookry bible for Italians.

It will be hard to find a real authentic 'italian rustic' cook book because the food is so incredibly regional. Urmaniac recommendations have always been great for me, so that would be a good place to start. :) otherwise, if you know what kind of regional ffod you like, you could ook more specifically, and possibly more successfully for regional cook books.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:40 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugger View Post
Amazon says: Featuring over 2,000 recipes among its 1,200-plus pages, it's easy to see why this Italian version of The Joy of Cooking, billed as "the bible of authentic Italian cooking,"

I may buy this 1 next myself. Man that is a lot of recipes !! If I could only buy the inspiration, motivation and round tuits needed, I'd be in good shape.
It's an extremely simple book to use, too. Most of the recipes have less than 10 ingredients.
Critics loved this book when it came out...to the point that bookstores couldn't keep it on the shelves. I had to wait a month for mine.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I'm gonna add silver spoon to my collection. Looks great.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:19 AM   #16
Senior Cook

I really like Veal and tomate based sauces will Pellegrino Artusi book suffice

Old 07-08-2008, 08:21 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Artusi's book is somewhat like a bible to many cooking enthusiasts in Italy. He made his fortune first as a silk merchant, then after retiring decided to dedicate his life to be a "buongustaio" (gourmand), and he wrote his book at the age of 70, then not being able to find a publisher, he used his own fortune to publish it himself. You can feel his love and enthusiasm for good eating while you read his book, and truly one of a kind and so much more than just a cookbook, that is why it is still loved so much despite of the fact that it was written more than a century ago.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:05 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13 View Post
Artusi's book is somewhat like a bible to many cooking enthusiasts in Italy. He made his fortune first as a silk merchant, then after retiring decided to dedicate his life to be a "buongustaio" (gourmand), and he wrote his book at the age of 70, then not being able to find a publisher, he used his own fortune to publish it himself. You can feel his love and enthusiasm for good eating while you read his book, and truly one of a kind and so much more than just a cookbook, that is why it is still loved so much despite of the fact that it was written more than a century ago.
I'm going to order it after summer sounds great
Old 07-08-2008, 09:12 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Check post #10
Old 07-08-2008, 09:37 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklord1 View Post
Whats the best authentic book for rustic itallian food ?
Rustic can cover a lot of territory. Italy has foods according to its area, very diverse.