"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 09-20-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Can't get my first blow torch to work

hello,

i recently for a basic chef's blow torch but cant seem to get it to work.
it has got a smal screw (which i can pull out, and which goes back in when i let go) just below the trigger. it has got a black dial at teh top.

i cant get any flame out of the blow torch.

the only way to pull the trigger seems to be when i pull down the screw. but that does produce any flame.

is there anything i need to do before the blow torch is active. can you guys help me with my blowtorch.

i am attaching a picture of my blow torch.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00183.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	5493  

Old 09-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Check your instructions and read what each thing dos on this torch. Dos it have a safety valve that needs to be turned. Is the ignition sparking and dos it have fuel? I doubt it came already fueled. You need to get one of those lighter butane bottles that fill lighters read instructions very carefully and fill up your torch .

Old 09-20-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
Executive Chef

That's on it's side, the picture, yes? Where does the can of gas go? Are you sure it has fuel?
Old 09-20-2008, 06:47 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Those kind of torches are for household use they only hold a little fuel much to small for me even at home although I have about three of them. I have a bigger one I found at a hardware store but not as large as the restaurants use.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I have one similiar to this you fill can fill it with a camping propane bottle and no bottle attached.
Find Bernzomatic 3 in 1 Micro Torch and other Soldering Tools & Torches at Aubuchon Hardware
Old 09-20-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
My opinion (which is what it is) and what I would use in a regular basis unless part of demonstration/show, is a regular blow torch from the hardware store.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
My opinion (which is what it is) and what I would use in a regular basis unless part of demonstration/show, is a regular blow torch from the hardware store.
Thats good but if you are only needing it at home for two to four people the small ones are fine.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:37 PM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Thats good but if you are only needing it at home for two to four people the small ones are fine.
That's when you break out the Binford 9001 Flame-O-Matic . . . . . ROTFL!

Arg, arg, arg!
Old 09-20-2008, 08:04 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
That's when you break out the Binford 9001 Flame-O-Matic . . . . . ROTFL!

Arg, arg, arg!
PYROMANIAC? Perhaps?
Old 09-21-2008, 12:04 AM   #10
Master Chef

While a picture may be worth 1,000 words - in this case the Brand Name and Model Number would have given us something to work with - the picture alone is useless.

1) Read the instructions that came with your tourch. They will tell you everything you need to know about how to use it.

2) If it didn't come with instructions - contact the store where you bought it. They can help you get the instructions and can probably give you all the information you need to know to use it.

Like jpmcgrew and VeraBlue mentioned - these generally (I've never seen one) do not come charged with fuel and ready to use out of the box.