"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 12-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #31
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
When I use egg rings, I end up having to scrub off the cooked egg residue that sticks to even teflon coated egg rings and the egg residue that gets into the fold down handle. That's why I'm going to try the microwave method. Also, I've heard of good results with those microwave egg cookers if you don't mix up the egg too much.
I only poke a hole through each yolk with a toothpick, my yolks stay round and are that yummy golden nugget that I eat eggs for. Just don't tell my cardiologist

Old 12-26-2011, 11:25 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
When I use egg rings, I end up having to scrub off the cooked egg residue that sticks to even teflon coated egg rings and the egg residue that gets into the fold down handle. That's why I'm going to try the microwave method. Also, I've heard of good results with those microwave egg cookers if you don't mix up the egg too much.
Yeah, I forgot about having to clean the ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I only poke a hole through each yolk with a toothpick, my yolks stay round and are that yummy golden nugget that I eat eggs for. Just don't tell my cardiologist
I guess I'm much more casual. My usual breakfast is to fry an egg in a little butter or fat. I flip it and usually poke it with the spatula with the goal of having the yolk a bit runny, and sometimes throw some Gruyere cheese over, and maybe some diced green chiles. Then I move the pan off the burner and heat a flour tortilla directly over the flame, flipping a few times. I use the spatula to shovel the egg mixture into the tortilla, spike it with Tapatio sauce and roll it up. The only dirty dishes are the frying pan and spatula.

I like the idea of having somebody cook my breakfast but my dog is undependable. Nor do I envision him washing the dishes. There is no such thing as a dirty dish to a dog.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

I use a cheapo tin biscuit cutter that I spray with Pam. Sticking is not an issue.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:42 PM   #34
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Yeah, I forgot about having to clean the ring.

I guess I'm much more casual. My usual breakfast is to fry an egg in a little butter or fat. I flip it and usually poke it with the spatula with the goal of having the yolk a bit runny, and sometimes throw some Gruyere cheese over, and maybe some diced green chiles. Then I move the pan off the burner and heat a flour tortilla directly over the flame, flipping a few times. I use the spatula to shovel the egg mixture into the tortilla, spike it with Tapatio sauce and roll it up. The only dirty dishes are the frying pan and spatula.

I like the idea of having somebody cook my breakfast but my dog is undependable. Nor do I envision him washing the dishes. There is no such thing as a dirty dish to a dog.
LOL! it's takes two hours for my brain to turn on in the morning, I'm not allowed near the stove until I am awake. That's why my mornings are so busy.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:51 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I use a cheapo tin biscuit cutter that I spray with Pam. Sticking is not an issue.
I keep tuna cans with tops and bottoms cut out in my gadget drawer for cooking pseudo McMuffins. The newer cans have rounded bottoms, so you may need to search out cans that work.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:53 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
LOL! it's takes two hours for my brain to turn on in the morning,
You may have assumed that I eat breakfast within two hours of waking. More like 4 hours, and I awake before dawn, not that I want to. One thing for sure, I prepare my coffee maker before turning in, so that all I have to do is poke the switch when I get up in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I keep tuna cans with tops and bottoms cut out in my gadget drawer for cooking pseudo McMuffins.
There's a clever idea!
Old 12-27-2011, 02:02 AM   #37
Sous Chef

8 oz pineapple cans and water chestnut cans can have both ends opened and work well as egg rings. I use a silicone egg ring since I use Teflon pans. I have tried the microwave, but I like the yolk a little runny and that seems pretty much impossible in the microwave. I don't have sticking issues with the silicone. Most of the time I use the nudge method, since I generally make an egg sandwich on toast. I just need the egg to be vaguely bread shaped lol
Old 12-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #38
Master Chef

DW got me six of them for christmas. I tried them and was unimpressed. The only way they would be of use is to beat the eggs, with a bit of added milk, and add such items as little chunks of cheese, diced meat, and diced veggies to make an egg dish with those ingredients imbeded into the egg. That might be interesting. Or you could beat the egg with seasonings, and place a sausage meatball (cooked) in first. Pour in the egg, and cook. The meatball would be a pleasant suprise for the eater. I also thouth the cups might be good for making pana cotta, or baked custards.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Oh right, how could I have forgotten! But, I thought you were my long-lost twin separated at birth? Oh, dear, I'm confused (but then, I'm usually confused).
Wait! Hold the phone! You all wanted me as a grandparent, or Dad a while back. If you are now going to become twins, sextuplets, etc., I'll never be able to afford the food bill. And at Christmas time, be prepared for a hardy "Merry Christmas", 'cause that's all I can afford.

And no. I'm not buying you a Porche, not any of you. But you know, if all of you pool your money together, a respected and deserving Grandfather could sure use one. And you've twelve months to save before next Christmas.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Wait! Hold the phone! You all wanted me as a grandparent, or Dad a while back. If you are now going to become twins, sextuplets, etc., I'll never be able to afford the food bill. And at Christmas time, be prepared for a hardy "Merry Christmas", 'cause that's all I can afford.

And no. I'm not buying you a Porche, not any of you. But you know, if all of you pool your money together, a respected and deserving Grandfather could sure use one. And you've twelve months to save before next Christmas.

Thank you Papa! I'll keep that in mind for your Christmas present.

<googling Hot Wheels...>