"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 11-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

I have an untouched garlic press as well. Nowadays I just use my mini Garlic and Ginger grater if I wanted my Garlic to be really fine, otherwise a good ole smash with the knife blade is the way to go.
I agree the Garlic press is a fail, and difficult to clean as well!

Old 11-16-2011, 01:28 AM   #32
Head Chef

I do either, just depending on circumstances. One thing I do is a quick smash and peel the cloves first. My press is an OXO and it swings open 300+ degrees with pegs to match the holes - makes cleaning a breeze. And when I'm doing several cloves, they just follow one after the other, so any waste is minimal.

I also use the chop and mash knife method, and that's fine for one or 2 cloves, but if I want more than that finely minced, then I use the press. I'm handy enough with a knife, but I'd sure never try to hold myself up against a professional chef for knife skills.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:42 PM   #33
Assistant Cook

Garlic Press

Oxo makes great tools but no matter how good one makes a tool, the garlic press is a different matter. The biggest problem I have with a press is that they are so difficult to clean. I love using garlic in my cooking and the best way to mince garlic is to peel the cloves and chop with a chef knife. The trick is to put a few tablespoons of olive oil or other cooking oil on top of the garlic as you chop. This will prevent the garlic pieces from flying all over your board and sticking to your knife. Also, having the garlic in oil will allow you to store it up to a week in the fridge inside an airtight container.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:34 PM   #34
Wine Guy

Those of you who are having such difficulty cleaning your garlic press, I'd be curious to know what brands you are using. I own a Zyliss press like the one pictured on page 1. I've had it for about 6 years now (purchased after seeing a review on America's Test Kitchen, as I recall) and all I can say is that it works like a charm. And with the included cleaning tool, it takes all of about 15 seconds to clean out - much less time than a microplane.

I wouldn't use a garlic press for just a couple of cloves. It's not worth getting out of the drawer for that. But for applications involving large amounts of garlic, I wouldn't be without it.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:01 AM   #35
Sous Chef

I'm going to let all of you in on the secret of secrets:

DON'T PEEL THE PAPER OFF OF THE GARLIC BEFORE YOU PUT IT IN THE GARLIC PRESS!

Then you won't get a single bit of clogging, because the skin stays with the paper. Once you open up the press the skin and paper come out easily, in one piece, with no waste. I've used the Pampered Chef brand one for years and years. It's been flawless. There are definitely some AWFUL garlic presses out there that don't use up all the garlic clove, but either way, don't peel it before you put it in the press!
Old 12-01-2011, 01:28 AM   #36
Assistant Cook

I prefer the garlic press. I smash and peel the cloves first. what's left in the press is just skin-type stuff, I pull it out throw it away. Garlic's really not that expensive.. The press does a better job than I can at mincing plus my fingers don't get all sticky.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:29 AM   #37
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
I'm going to let all of you in on the secret of secrets:

DON'T PEEL THE PAPER OFF OF THE GARLIC BEFORE YOU PUT IT IN THE GARLIC PRESS!

Then you won't get a single bit of clogging, because the skin stays with the paper. Once you open up the press the skin and paper come out easily, in one piece, with no waste. I've used the Pampered Chef brand one for years and years. It's been flawless. There are definitely some AWFUL garlic presses out there that don't use up all the garlic clove, but either way, don't peel it before you put it in the press!
I have never heard this advice before whoah
Old 12-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Yeah, my Zyliss isn't hard to clean at all. If I don't use the tool, I use my dish brush, just run it across the holes and it pushes anything through, takes absolutely, certainly the same or less time than cleaning a knife and a board. I DON'T peel my garlic beforehand.

I still feel that many have an aversion to garlic presses for two reasons, hard to clean (many aren't), and they feel less "chefy" using one because the famous chefs shun them.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote