"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 04-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
So the glass isn't too heavy then, GG?
I hadn't thought of pyrex...
No, I guess I've gotten used to the weight over the years. I've never had SS bowls. I only use plastic ones (i.e., Tupperware) when mixing large pasta or potato salads, usually for a BBQ or potluck.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
When it comes to mixing bowls, I have all kinds. They include stainless steel, glass and plastic. However, hands down, I use my glass ones the most. A huge favorite is a 2-quart Anchor Hocking glass batter bowl. Looks like an overgrown measuring cup. Has a nice handle and a pouring spout. We call it the "holy mixing bowl" here. I do everything from mixing meatloaf, to making cake batter, cookie dough, mixing potato salad, proofing my N.Y. Times dough, you name it. As a matter of fact, I use it so much I have 3. Many times, especially during the holidays, all 3 are in use at the same time.

Good luck with your quest.

Here's what it looks like:
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the suggestions.
I think I'm going to look for a glass bowl (pyrex) and one SS bowl.
I think the glass bowl will be nice for mixing heavy, sticky stuff like dough or meatloaf because of the added weight over the SS. And I'll still have my lighter SS mixing bowl for making a large salad or tossing wings in ...... Notice I didn't say, "tossing the sal...."
Old 04-28-2008, 03:40 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
I use big old Pyrex bowls. My Mom collected old kitchen glassware, so I have a ton
to pick from, since it has very little collectible value at the moment.
IMHO, preferable to SS bowls; I just like the heft and feel, I guess.
I love old pyrex bowls... actully bought one on need from a thrift store (had broken only decent size bowl) and found myself collecting something about the old pyerx just feels right dont know what it is but I like them much more than any of the earthenware or stoneware mixing bowls.... and the "cindarella" ones with the built in spout are just brilliant.

note new pyrex is not the same its just regular old glass branded "pyrex" the old stuff is some great space age lab glass
Old 04-28-2008, 03:57 PM   #15
Master Chef

I do not like my Pyrex bowls, as they are getting heavier and heavier. They were just fine when we got them, as a wedding gift, but nowadays I try to avoid them as much as possible.

Go with SS, do you have a restaurant supply store in your area? Check them out. Very reasonable prices and all the sizes you can imagine.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

We used to Charlie, right below an appliance store, but the commercial kitchen supply closed down for some reason and they enlarged the appliance area. More markup maybe...
Old 04-28-2008, 04:01 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
When it comes to mixing bowls, I have all kinds. They include stainless steel, glass and plastic. However, hands down, I use my glass ones the most. A huge favorite is a 2-quart Anchor Hocking glass batter bowl. Looks like an overgrown measuring cup. Has a nice handle and a pouring spout. We call it the "holy mixing bowl" here. I do everything from mixing meatloaf, to making cake batter, cookie dough, mixing potato salad, proofing my N.Y. Times dough, you name it. As a matter of fact, I use it so much I have 3. Many times, especially during the holidays, all 3 are in use at the same time.

Good luck with your quest.

Here's what it looks like:

We have one of these as well. It's very handy and useful for storing stuff as well because of the lid.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:40 PM   #18
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
I have a big@pyrex bowl that works great for me. I also have a set of SS (3 bowls).

I like diffeerent ones for different things. I have read on this site that the new pyrex is different glass than the old ones. I do not know what that really means.

Here is the reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrex
Old 04-28-2008, 04:59 PM   #19
Head Chef

I have both but find myself using the glass alot more often. I have a set from Crate and Barrel but have coveted my mom's set of pyrex since I was little. It seems I use the SS when I need to chill something.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
I have a big@pyrex bowl that works great for me. I also have a set of SS (3 bowls).

I like diffeerent ones for different things. I have read on this site that the new pyrex is different glass than the old ones. I do not know what that really means.

Here is the reference Pyrex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
basically the old stuff was less reactive and withstood termperature changes better than regular glass it is still manufactured by owens-corning for labratory glass. Like Corning-Ware the name is just a brand now it is glass.