"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 05-18-2016, 03:54 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Yes, Andy, why do you find it easier? Actually, I never found it hard to use, just dangerous. No matter how hard I tried, I was never able to use it without scraping my knuckles or ding a finger pad. I don't do that kind of damage with the flat graters.
I bought a cut-resistant glove to use with my mandoline to protect my delicate fingers It works great with the box grater, too, and goes right in the laundry.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:05 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm sorry CG. No matter what kind of grater you use, some caution must be exercised to keep your personal parts intact.
Geeeeez, Andy, I'm clumsy, not stupid. Well, sometimes I'm stupid, but it's not for discussion here... The funny thing is whenever I use a mandolin or my food processor, I never hurt myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I bought a cut-resistant glove to use with my mandoline to protect my delicate fingers It works great with the box grater, too, and goes right in the laundry.
My hands have good days and bad. Many days my pinching function doesn't want to pinch. Even my dish washing gloves make my hands feel like they're encased in concrete some days. So if gloves work for you, glad to hear it. For me, I'll stick with my flat grater and bare hands.

I place the grater across the top of my prep bowl that is about the same diameter as my grater is long. Hold both with the left hand, grate with my right. No nicks, no cuts, no slop on the counter, and no slipping. I guess it really IS different strokes for different folks.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:07 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
My hands have good days and bad. Many days my pinching function doesn't want to pinch. Even my dish washing gloves make my hands feel like they're encased in concrete some days. So if gloves work for you, glad to hear it. For me, I'll stick with my flat grater and bare hands.

I place the grater across the top of my prep bowl that is about the same diameter as my grater is long. Hold both with the left hand, grate with my right. No nicks, no cuts, no slop on the counter, and no slipping. I guess it really IS different strokes for different folks.
Whatever works!
Old 05-18-2016, 05:12 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Geeeeez, Andy, I'm clumsy, not stupid. Well, sometimes I'm stupid, but it's not for discussion here... The funny thing is whenever I use a mandolin or my food processor, I never hurt myself.

I was JUST going to post this! I do the same way - as long as the flat grater is just a little longer than the bowl is wide, it works for me. I put the bowl on a dampened tea towel to help keep it from sliding around.

I have a box grater too, but don't use it quite as much as I do the flat grater. It has come in handy many times, though. It might just be that I usually cook for one and the flat grater is less bulky for the little amount that I usually need to shred.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:34 PM   #35
Master Chef

I have a box grater that's almost never used.

This is used 99% of the time and when I went looking where to buy one, it's on a vintage site. Dang, I guess I've had it since the 60's!
I use a paper plate under it, and grate away. The metal part is 6x4

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:04 PM   #36
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I have a box grater that's almost never used.

This is used 99% of the time and when I went looking where to buy one, it's on a vintage site. Dang, I guess I've had it since the 60's!
I use a paper plate under it, and grate away. The metal part is 6x4

Kayelle is that a Tablecraft grater? It looks like one of theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 05-18-2016, 09:06 PM   #37
Sous Chef

How do you protect your fingers when you get to the last bit of potato? Do you wear the gloves people mentioned or is there a gadget that can hold the potato?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 05-18-2016, 09:17 PM   #38
Master Chef

The grater I have is no longer made by Ecko, however Bradshaw carries a similar one. Remember mine is a course one with big holes.
I don't grate potatoes anymore, but I remember just tossing the last sliver of potato to save my fingers.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:19 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
How do you protect your fingers when you get to the last bit of potato? Do you wear the gloves people mentioned or is there a gadget that can hold the potato?
I chop it up with a knife.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:18 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I chop it up with a knife.
much better idea than mine. Duh..