"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2017, 11:34 PM   #1
Master Chef

Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

There have been a number of us treating ourselves to new kitchen gear lately, because I've seen comments about "my new this" or "I just got this" pop up in dinner threads and elsewhere. I thought it might be a nice place to post all of our new (or new-to-you finds for those of you with Thrift Shop Luck) kitchen toys so there is one thread to hunt through when you think "I know someone just bought a something...now what did they think about it?".

Since this is my idea, and I just bought myself some candy, I'm going first.

I've been eyeing a new, shorter chef knife for a while. Even collected Discover cashback cards to use at BB&B. But when Himself and I were out for a ride yesterday, we ended up at a favorite kitchen goody shop in southern CT. Turns out they had a great deal on Wusthof knives...and a better knife than the BB&B $120.00 on my wish list. Even with a coupon, I couldn't beat the $80 price. The gift cards? They can now go to a new electric toothbrush that Himself needs to get. Best price I found for this Classic Wide 6-inch Chef was $119.99 at Amazon. Until yesterday...

I also got a Helen Chen Carbon Steel Wok. I gave my original one to our son about 10 years ago. That wok is older than our son! Still going strong. Now I get to season a new one. This will be my project sometime in the near future:

What new kitchen goody have you got for yourself lately? And tell us how we just can't live without one. I'm looking at you, Insta-Pot.

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind." ~~~ Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:03 AM   #2
Head Chef

What a coincidence. I ordered a new knife, myself. It is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

I damaged my primary chef's knife many months ago, but have been using it, anyway. It gets the job done, but it has a knick in the blade that bugs the heck out of me. I finally broke down and bought a new one -- a Victorinox 8-inch chef's knife. I can't wait to get it.

I popped into into Tuesday Morning today (it is next to PetsMart, where I needed to go), and they had a bunch of Staub cast-iron cookware. If I didn't already have a good collection of Le Crueset, I would have been tempted, for sure.

The last kitchen toy I bought was my Searsall, which was a good six months ago.

CD

Old 02-25-2017, 01:04 AM   #3
Master Chef

I didn't have to wait for a delivery! Now I have to learn how to work with it without adding finger tips to our dinners... It is seriously sharp!

No Tuesday Morning near where we now live, CD, but I loved browsing that place back home. Got some great deals there.

I have one Staub. LOVE it! I have two pieces of Le Creuset, but I'm now a Staub girl. If I get any more enameled CI, it will be more Staub.

Old 02-25-2017, 01:08 AM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I didn't have to wait for a delivery! Now I have to learn how to work with it without adding finger tips to our dinners... It is seriously sharp!

No Tuesday Morning near where we now live, CD, but I loved browsing that place back home. Got some great deals there.

I have one Staub. LOVE it! I have two pieces of Le Creuset, but I'm now a Staub girl. If I get any more enameled CI, it will be more Staub.
I was pretty impressed with the Staub stuff, too. I just don't need any of it, at least not now.

CD
Old 02-25-2017, 08:36 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We have a nice big (at least 5-quart) programmable Rival crock-pot that gets used often during the wintertime and a lot during the summertime. I discovered recently, when I made a huge recipe of beef stew, that the removable crock had a big crack in it.

Have no idea how it happened because I'm the only one who touches the thing and I've always been very careful with it. Washed it by hand, etc.

The crack must've been there a while but it really left evidence when I made the stew (lots of liquid to seep for a long period of time). There was a cooked-on trail directly along the path of the crack. Drat!

I've looked at what a replacement crock would cost. Holy Christmas, Batman. I may as well buy a new crock-pot. Not...

Enter Goodwill on Friday. Was looking for something else but, yep! Found the exact replacement and spent less than $5. Scored!!!
Old 02-25-2017, 09:30 PM   #6
Master Chef

Katie, you seriously find the best deals at your Goodwill!

Good idea for a thread, CG! I haven't bought any new kitchen candy in quite some time. I do need a new chef's knife, and could use a new toaster before too long.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:43 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Katie, you seriously find the best deals at your Goodwill!

Good idea for a thread, CG! I haven't bought any new kitchen candy in quite some time. I do need a new chef's knife, and could use a new toaster before too long.
Thanks, Cheryl, but I really just stumble on them most of the time. However, I will have to say that the three Goodwill stores that I frequent are more like shopping at a very, very nice consignment store without the "consign" part.

What I see on the shelves and racks are always first rate. I can't imagine what they turn away.

When I bought the crock-pot crock, I also bought a John Deere-licensed dinner plate for our youngest grandson who eats, sleeps, drinks, plays all things John Deere.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:59 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Sure enough within the same week, my Mr. Coffee and microwave quit on me. My daughter bought me a MW oven about ten years ago. So I was not surprised when it quit. It began arcing. I found a Magic Chef that had a smaller footprint on my counter top. Quite happy with it. Easier to operate.

I notified Mr. Coffee about my machine just up and quitting on me. It was less than seven months old. I sent an email to the company with all the information. About five days later there is a package for me down next to the mail boxes. It was a brand spanking new even better Mr. Coffee. It has a lot of bells and whistles that the broken one lacked. No cost, no tax, no shipping charge. I wanted to call them to say Thank you. Pirate told me to keep my mouth shut. Send them an email. So I did.

Now that is customer service. Two new appliances that take up less of a footprint on my counter top. And I only had to pay a minimal amount for the MW oven. No shipping or tax either.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:09 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
...Enter Goodwill on Friday. Was looking for something else but, yep! Found the exact replacement and spent less than $5. Scored!!!
Katie, you are exactly who I was thinking about as I wrote "for those of you with Thrift Shop Luck". I'm glad you were able to find a new crockpot so fast (and so cheap) since you do use it a lot. IF we're ever in your neck of the woods, I want to go Goodwilling with you!

Old 02-26-2017, 12:05 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I notified Mr. Coffee about my machine just up and quitting on me. It was less than seven months old. I sent an email to the company with all the information. About five days later there is a package for me down next to the mail boxes. It was a brand spanking new even better Mr. Coffee. It has a lot of bells and whistles that the broken one lacked. No cost, no tax, no shipping charge.
That is good business. Take care of a customer, and they will tell everyone they know that you took care of them. As a commercial photographer, I am a "business owner," and I make most of my money from repeat customers, and get most of my new business from word of mouth advertising from my current customers.

CD

Tags
candy, kitchen