"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 11-11-2004, 05:55 PM   #11
Head Chef

Elm2003,
I am actually watching "how to boil water" right now and they are addressing this same problem. They said to heat on a stove the butter and cream before riceing the potatoes. Get them nice and hot, rice the potatoes, and then add the hot cream and butter directly to the potatoes. Then you should be good to go. Hope this helps.

Old 11-11-2004, 07:38 PM   #12
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm2003
Well, I went out and bought a potatoe ricer because I saw on the early show where Bobby Flay said that it was the best way to make mashed potatoes. All he did was rice them, add the extras, and stir them up. Well, I tried it and the potaoes were cold by the time we ate them. I'm just wondering if I did something wrong.
Try warming the milk and butter, it could help.

Old 11-11-2004, 07:46 PM   #13
Sous Chef

When I said I added milk and butter, I neglected to say "warmed," but it should be.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:55 AM   #14
Master Chef

Shoot Alix beat me to it........I was going to suggest the same thing
Old 11-12-2004, 06:55 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Location: USA - Chicago, Illinois ~ On a windy day, I can almost get a frisbee to Midway Airport.
Has anyone read any of Tom Colicchio's books?

Tom is the owner and EC of Craft, Gramercy Tavern, and 'WichCraft in NYC. He has two books, Think Like A Chef and Craft of Cooking. BOTH are among my favorites.

Anyway....

In Craft of Cooking, he gives his restuarant's recipe of potato puree. The book is currently on loan, but if memory serves me well, there are minimal ingredients. Riced potatoes, warmed 1/2 and 1/2, warmed butter, salt and pepper, and chives.

I am jumping on the "warm your dairy" band wagon. :)

RJ
Old 11-12-2004, 07:58 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Darn CAT.. woke me up again and I fed her last night too.. (anyone want a cat???) just kidding... okay here's my $0.02 worth:

Soft boiled eggs served in egg cups seem to be growing in popularity... a couple years ago on eBay there were 100-150 listings... now there are over 700.. albeit eBay has grown but not that much. And those "chicken" egg scissors by Wusthof appeared once or twice a month and now there are about 8 listings...

You CAN soft boil eggs so the white is firm, but it takes good timing. I use an electric egg cooker, also by Krups, with a measuring cup for the water. If I use the same size eggs each time, they come out fairly consistent for how soft they are.

The cooker works for hard boiled eggs too but I usually hard boil in my rice cooker.. put in a dozen Jumbo eggs, 3/4 cup water.. about 22 minutes later run cold water over them.. pretty idiot proof. I use Grade A eggs rather than AA 'cause they are older and I can peel them.. it takes an act of Congress to peel fresher eggs :)

I haven't tried the Kale soup yet.. I can't find a recipe that seems to be like grandma's... I suspect she boiled the meats first and used the broth with the ground greens. What else was added I dont' know! I'll have to do more hunting.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:40 AM   #17
Senior Cook

I wanted to catch this and add something before this dropped to page 2...

One other thing that a potato ricer is good for, is.. when you have a large potato chip size bag of fresh spinach and cook it.. and it leaves you with a coffee cup size bunch of cooked spinach that's full of water, I drain mine this way:

Usually, I toss the cooked spinach in my salad spinner and spin the water out of it (I have the salad spinner out anyway 'cause I use the outside bowl to wash my fresh spinach).. but you can also stuff the cooked spinach in your potato ricer and squeeze GENTLY (you don't wanna puree your spinach) and it drains the water out.. and it's easy clean up.. no towels to wash or anything.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:42 AM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Great tip lutzzz! I usually go through a whole roll of paper towels when I drain my spinich.

"Oh honey bunches, I have another thing I want to add to my Christmas list!"
Old 11-12-2004, 12:03 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Location: USA - Chicago, Illinois ~ On a windy day, I can almost get a frisbee to Midway Airport.
I own a ricer and a food mill. I use my food mill more, and to be truthful... I don't use the food mill that much.

My ricer was a gift. How much are they?

RJ
Old 11-12-2004, 12:11 PM   #20
Senior Cook

This is the one I have... I buy a lot from Amazon 'cause I add something else to make it $25 and get free shipping. (There's always some esoteric gadget I can't live without to round out the order.)...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...71257?v=glance

I also really like the Oxo one.. it's more money than a lot of them but it's very sturdy and comfortable to use... my impression anyway.

I don't have a food mill yet... I guess it handles potatoes about the same way as a ricer but also the benefit of doing tomatoes and stuff.. which I don't do. And it seems it would be harder to clean than the ricer... but I'll no doubt add a food mill one day :)