"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cook's Tools

Old 12-16-2004, 10:53 AM   #41
Executive Chef

I've never met a rolling pin I didn't like
Okay, that's not true. Once, at a thrift store, I saw one, grabbed it and then realized that it was warped, it rolled cockeyed, therefore, I put it back, for some other non suspecting fool (who may have been in desparate need of a rolling pin and had 45ยข in their pocket to spend on one) to pick it up instead of me.
Mine are all wood.
They are with or without ball barings.
I have the long tapered French one too without any handles.
If I had to choose, I think I'd go for a real heavy one with precise ball barings to roll ever so smoothly. < I think if it's the right weight and balance, I'd not have to work so hard in the rolling process.

Old 12-16-2004, 11:01 AM   #42
Executive Chef

First, I loved the story about the Christmas tree and the rolling pin.
How special a story is that~!~ :D
Secondly, I am now going over to the ebay room and putting in the search bar, rolling pins. Hope there is something good over there, just to get excited about. I LOVE ROLLING PINS.

Old 12-16-2004, 08:02 PM   #43
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
I'm curious about this - is it all one piece or does the roller part roll independently of the handles? Who/what is/was Thorpe? TIA
Old 12-17-2004, 04:04 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by subfuscpersona
Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
I'm curious about this - is it all one piece or does the roller part roll independently of the handles? Who/what is/was Thorpe? TIA
The pin consists of the maple wooden barrell, a steel rod, steel ball bearings, and the handles. So the pin barrell rolls independently from the handles.

Thorpe is a famous producer of rolling pins in the United States. Thorpe pins are an commercial bakery industry standard. I have used them for years. They are wonderful, high quality rolling pins. Julia Child used Thorpe rolling pins in her kitchen.

My old pin is a Thorpe, and the only problem is the metal cap that holds the handle on is too loose. I will get it repaired later on.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:49 AM   #45
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiguyy
My favorite rolling pin is a piece of scrap dowel that I took from a construction site rubbish pile. No, I didn't steal it. It was a home I was having built and I told the contractor I was taking it. A little bit of sanding and I had my rolling pin.
I promise you, Psiguyy, if and when mine breaks, this is precisely what I will do, ala Home depot and 2" doweling.

And Michael, french tapered pins have a long section in the middle where there are not tapered....so they work really well at keeping uniform thicknesses. The tapering is just to let you grab it more easily.

Isn't it interesting that there are as many preferred styles of pins here as there are individuals! Thorpe's are really nice, too, choclatechef! I have a couple that were my mom's that work as well today as they did in the 40s. Nice and smooth action...
Old 02-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #46
Master Chef

I have a marble one and a copper one .
Old 02-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Here's mine.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #48
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I have two: A big one, and a small one. Both of them are the standard wooden barrel, handles, and ball bearings kind.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #49
Cook

This is not a brag.. I am just older than most of you... I have a dozen or more rolling pins, from marble, to Stainless, dowels, tapered French pins, old fashioned 3" diameter pins, a whole set (set of rolling pins) Indian or Near-Eastern pins for rolling pita, or naan, or other kinds of ethnic breads, a huge glass pin that you can fill with ice, a strange pin with carved relief things on it from Germany to make something, and my old standby... The cut off hardwood handle of a kids rake- two of them different lengths. I really like the French tapered one, but usually grab the rake handle ones. I do like the large tapered, small diameter ones for making pitas and do search them out when I make pita breads. I would suggest, considering the price of them on Ebay, that you experiment and find one that fits your use, and your hand. Roll on...

Old 02-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #50
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetGeek View Post
This is not a brag.. I am just older than most of you... I have a dozen or more rolling pins, from marble, to Stainless, dowels, tapered French pins, old fashioned 3" diameter pins, a whole set (set of rolling pins) Indian or Near-Eastern pins for rolling pita, or naan, or other kinds of ethnic breads, a huge glass pin that you can fill with ice, a strange pin with carved relief things on it from Germany to make something, and my old standby... The cut off hardwood handle of a kids rake- two of them different lengths. I really like the French tapered one, but usually grab the rake handle ones. I do like the large tapered, small diameter ones for making pitas and do search them out when I make pita breads. I would suggest, considering the price of them on Ebay, that you experiment and find one that fits your use, and your hand. Roll on...

That's how He rolls.