Thermometer suggestions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
I have your standard meat thermometer (not digital) that I hate. I had a candy thermometer (looked like a huge verison of a thermometer your mom would pop under your tongue) that I loved and used for everything, but it broke.

I'd like to get a digital thermometer. I love Alton's, but there is no WAY I'm going to spend a bunch of money on a thermometer...Hubby would have a fit!:LOL:

Anywho, I would like some suggestions for a digital probe thermometer that wont break the bank.

Thanks!

What would your definition of breaking the bank be? Alton uses the Polder brand probe thermometers. They run about $30. I have a Polder and I love it.

Polder makes a probe thermometer that's worth getting. The probe attaches to the display by a wire. You can set the target temp and the unit will beep when the food is ready. It is also a traditional timer. IT costs about $25.

$25 - 30 is pretty dang close to breaking the bank right now! Sad but true...

Where does one get a Polder?

I'm not sure if this is the kind of thermometer you're thinking of.
Pyrex Digital Probe Oven Thermometer/ Timer.
I bought mine about 3 yrs ago for $19.99 and it has worked fine so far. I didn't do any research. If I remember right, I went to a Bed Bath and Beyond and bought the only model they had in stock at the time.
Look at the reviews on the Amazon site linked above and epinions.com reviews and you will find them mixed.

skilletlicker said:
I'm not sure if this is the kind of thermometer you're thinking of.
Pyrex Digital Probe Oven Thermometer/ Timer.
I bought mine about 3 yrs ago for $19.99 and it has worked fine so far. I didn't do any research. If I remember right, I went to a Bed Bath and Beyond and bought the only model they had in stock at the time.
Look at the reviews on the Amazon site linked above and epinions.com reviews and you will find them mixed.

If you read the reviews on Amazon, the Pyrex thermemeter seems to have some serious durability issues. Don't know if the Polder has the same problems or not, but the probes seem to be very sensitive if you even slightly exceed the recommended temperature range. Most who had this problem swear that they used it precisely by the book and still it failed, generally within a year. :(

My Polder has been working for at least 7 years. Just change a battery once in a while. I recently had it konk out on me. It started to give false readings and I overcooked a roast. So I tossed it.

Fortunately, S.O. can with one as part of her dowry so I didn't have to go out and buy another.

The lesson here is to periodically check all your thermometers for accuracy so you're not surprised.

RPCookin said:
If you read the reviews on Amazon, the Pyrex thermemeter seems to have some serious durability issues. Don't know if the Polder has the same problems or not, but the probes seem to be very sensitive if you even slightly exceed the recommended temperature range. Most who had this problem swear that they used it precisely by the book and still it failed, generally within a year. :(
RPCookin,
Not only did I read the reviews on Amazon, but I posted the link to them you read, and a link to another site that had even worse reviews so Angie could make an informed choice. Both sites also had positive reviews and I have no complaints with mine. I'll point out that a maximum temperature tolerance of 39xF is pretty low See the conversation about At what temp do you roast a chicken? Also the temperature at which your thermostat is set will, at times, be less than the maximum air temperature inside the oven.
As always, your constructive criticism is appreciated.

Last edited:
skilletlicker said:
...I'll point out that a maximum temperature tolerance of 39xF is pretty low ...

Keep in mind that these temperatures are for the meat in the middle of the roast, not the oven temperature you're cooking then at. I don't want to eat a chicken that's cooked to an internal temperature of 39xF.

The Polder has the same or similar max temp and I find that more than adequate for all my cooking needs. I just can't use it to calibrate my oven across a wide range of settings.

Andy M. said:
Keep in mind that these temperatures are for the meat in the middle of the roast, not the oven temperature you're cooking then at. I don't want to eat a chicken that's cooked to an internal temperature of 39xF.

The Polder has the same or similar max temp and I find that more than adequate for all my cooking needs. I just can't use it to calibrate my oven across a wide range of settings.
Yes sir, I agree completely. My point was that it is not the temperature of the bird thats going to fry the probe or wire but the ambient heat (air temp.)
or oven surfaces. Your bird would have to be pretty well cooked to exceed 390F.

Oops

I'm sorry Andy. I think I was uncharacteristically quick to be agreeable and sacrificed clarity.
Keep in mind that these temperatures are for the meat in the middle of the roast, not the oven temperature you're cooking then at.
I think that the maximum temperature referred to is definitely not for the meat in the middle of roast, but the ambient temperature of the oven. Your bird would be pretty well cooked before it got near 39xF. Of course subjecting the probe or wire to an internal oven surface would be even worse.

I'm no scientist but I'm purty sure.

The temperature sensing portion of the probe is in the first inch or two of the metal point. The wire can withstand the higher temperatures of the air in the oven. When I bought mine, it was sold as a BBQ thermometer for use inside a closed grill. Temperatures inside my closed grill reach up to 550F-600F.

The probe was made with the foreknowledge that the wire would be travelling through the oven where it would be quite a bit hotter than the inside of the meat.

Andy M. said:
The temperature sensing portion of the probe is in the first inch or two of the metal point.
No argument there.

Andy M. said:
The wire can withstand the higher temperatures of the air in the oven.
You may be right but I've not seen any documentation to support it.

Andy M. said:
When I bought mine, it was sold as a BBQ thermometer for use inside a closed grill.
When I bought mine no one made any such claim. Perhaps therein lies the rub. (No pun intended).

Andy M. said:
Temperatures inside my closed grill reach up to 550F-600F.
That's hotter than three-ninety-something.

Andy M. said:
The probe was made with the foreknowledge that the wire would be travelling through the oven where it would be quite a bit hotter than the inside of the meat.
I can't say with what knowledge, fore or otherwise, mine was made with.

There is a warning label on the original packaging of Pyrex that says:
DO NOT USE PROBE AND WIRE IN OVEN WITH TEMPERATURE OVER 400F
DO NOT USE IN GRILL

Maybe that warning label is the reason Pyrex can get away with the Lifetime Warranty. I've never tried to return a Pyrex product under warranty so I don't know what value, if any, that holds.

I think you said earlier that you have a Polder. If it was a race, my money would be on your horse. You and another trusted member of this community recommended it. I'm just reporting my experience and passing on some other owners opinions; favorable and otherwise.

I'm going to back Andy M. up on this one skilletlicker - there are different kinds of thermometers used, and intended to be used, in different ways.

An oven thermometer is intended to tell you the ambient temperature of the air in the oven. These are generally analog dial/spring or stick/bulb types and either sit on or hang from an oven rack. They are generally inexpensive.

There are instant read thermometers that you stick into the meat to check the temp (these can be analog or digital) but are not intended to be left in the meat and/or oven during cooking. Taylor makes them ranging from about $5 - $15 - and are slower than the Thermapen which costs about $70-$100+ (depending on model and where you buy them).

Meat thermometers are intended to stay in the meat during the cooking process ... and come in 3 flavors - analog dial or bulb, and the new "probe" models where a rigid metal probe with the sensing element in the end of the tip is attached by a wire to a digital readout that remains outside the oven. This is like the old dial and bulb type meat thermometers - the sensing portion is in the tip of the probe so what you are reading is the temp at the tip of the probe - not the ambient air in the oven. These are not intended to be "instant" or "rapid" read.

There are also fry/candy thermometers that generally go a little higher than meat thermometers - but are longer and also have a way to clip them to the pot, something that meat thermometers don't have.

I have a Taylor bulb-type oven thermometer, a Taylor bulb-type candy/fry thermometer, both analog and digital instant reads made by Taylor, and a probe model made by Taylor which is almost identical to the comperable Polder which I picked up at Target for about $16 (they still offer it but it is now labeled as TruTemp - only the colors of the buttons are different).

Dial thermometers depend on a spring made of flat wire that will expand as it heats up, which turns the dial - something like a thermostat works to control your heater/AC. Bulb thermometers depend on the liquid expanding as heated and is moved up the column. Digital uses a method "something" like the dial but is more accurate since they measure changes in electrical conductivity instead of just spring swelling/shrinking.

EDIT: Seems we were typing at the same time ... :wacko:

I will agree that the "max temp" of the cord on the probe does vary somewhat between brands/models. While the ones intended for indoor oven use are ginerally in the 350F-400F range ... the more expensive "BBQ" rated models appear to go up to 450F-500F ... but they are more expensive and above the temps I would want to use for good BBQ.

Last edited:
The candy bulb style one was my favorite. I'm all for a quick read. My meat one that stays in the whole time is junk. I don't feel as if it's accurate so I have been seriously turned off by them. Give me instant read ANY day!

Actually the spring types use a 2 layer a bi-metallic coil, and it is the different expansion coefficient factors of the two metals in the strip that cause the expansion/contraction of the coil as it heats and cools, moving the needle in the process. :)

I use a Thermapen instant read... costly but accurate and easy to use. Granted that you actually have to be paying attention to what you're doing, but that isn't an issue for me.

Last edited:
Soooo, back to Angie's question:

Polder probe thermometers are great, but about $25. I have several. Love 'em.

Taylor probe thermometers are also good, and I've had one for three years, just bought another at Sears for $17. Love 'em.

Thermpen instant-read digital thermometers are fantastic. But will run you at least $80. I wouldn't live without mine.

Lee

Michael in FtW said:
I'm going to back Andy M. up on this one skilletlicker - there are different kinds of thermometers used, and intended to be used, in different ways.

An oven thermometer is intended to tell you the ambient temperature of the air in the oven. These are generally analog dial/spring or stick/bulb types and either sit on or hang from an oven rack. They are generally inexpensive.

There are instant read thermometers that you stick into the meat to check the temp (these can be analog or digital) but are not intended to be left in the meat and/or oven during cooking. Taylor makes them ranging from about $5 - $15 - and are slower than the Thermapen which costs about $70-$100+ (depending on model and where you buy them).

Meat thermometers are intended to stay in the meat during the cooking process ... and come in 3 flavors - analog dial or bulb, and the new "probe" models where a rigid metal probe with the sensing element in the end of the tip is attached by a wire to a digital readout that remains outside the oven. This is like the old dial and bulb type meat thermometers - the sensing portion is in the tip of the probe so what you are reading is the temp at the tip of the probe - not the ambient air in the oven. These are not intended to be "instant" or "rapid" read.

There are also fry/candy thermometers that generally go a little higher than meat thermometers - but are longer and also have a way to clip them to the pot, something that meat thermometers don't have.

I have a Taylor bulb-type oven thermometer, a Taylor bulb-type candy/fry thermometer, both analog and digital instant reads made by Taylor, and a probe model made by Taylor which is almost identical to the comperable Polder which I picked up at Target for about $16 (they still offer it but it is now labeled as TruTemp - only the colors of the buttons are different).

Dial thermometers depend on a spring made of flat wire that will expand as it heats up, which turns the dial - something like a thermostat works to control your heater/AC. Bulb thermometers depend on the liquid expanding as heated and is moved up the column. Digital uses a method "something" like the dial but is more accurate since they measure changes in electrical conductivity instead of just spring swelling/shrinking.

Jeez, I don't understand the relevance of any of the above to any disagreement betwwen Andy M. and me. If there is a disagreement I would sumarize it as at what temperature does the probe (particularly the portion not inserted into the meat) or the wire leading out of the oven cease to function reliably. I have no opinion on the Polder as I have no documentation on it or experience with it. As for the Pyrex; I'll take the manufacturers statement not to use probe or wire with temperatures over 400F.

I'll reserve comments on candy, instant read, oven and other types of thermometers for conversations to which they pertain.

Back
Top Bottom