Dutch oven sticker shock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Candocook, I need to put the pot and cover in the oven to heat. Then I need to remove it from the oven. A hot heavy pot to place in and out of the oven. I prefer the lighter weight pot.

pacanis said:
Thanks, GB. I wasn't sure where it was even used, but looking at your list of things to cook I see it's the stovetop and not the oven.
I don't think I would need one in the kitchen, but it's nice to learn about them.
Actually it is used on both the stove top and also in the oven.

just a warning from Robo the pot and pan guy...an enamelled cast iron dutch oven is a glorious thing...get 5qt or better. Be careful of products made in China. Many many consumer warnings on Yahoo etc about Color cast and the MarioBatali pots ... the enamel chips easily and is very uneven inside with little pits that can grow. It is worth spending more money for Creuset, Lodge, Lamont, etc made in America or Europe with better warenties. Yes good enamelling is expensive.

I'm very happy with my two alluminum dutch ovens. Yes, some people say you can't use for tomatoes, but everything else works just fine. You can get one for around $10 $20 bucks. If you are interested I can give you alink to the place I got them, when I get to work on Monday, I do not have it at home.

Last edited:
Corey123 said:
I own about 5 Dutch Ovens - and I enjoy using all of them.

Two of them are enamalled, one 8-qt. SS, one is a 5-qt. Lodge and one is an 8-qt. hard anodized aluminum one (Rachael Ray).

Corey.... I can relieve you of one!!!!!! LOL!!!

Ok, I found a Le Creuset for $229 at Tuesday Morning.... holy cow!!!!! I'm going in the wrong direction!!! This was a big one tho, much bigger than I would ever need or use.

OH, went to the movies today for the first time in years....$6 popcorn!!!!! What happened while I was gone????

I want to thank everyone for the links as well... I'm gonna have me a dutch oven very soon!!!!!

CharlieD said:
I'm very happy with my two alluminum dutch ovens. Yes, some people say you can't use for tomatoes, but everything else works just fine. You can get one for around $10 $20 bucks. If you are interested I can give you alink to the place I got them, when I get to work on Monday, I do not have it at home.

Yes, please send to me!!!! I am still going to add an enamled one to my collection as well, but would like to investigate these as well....

I got a practically new 5 quart Le Creuset off of ebay last month for $80 - it looks like it has never been used. I refused to pay a high price for one for years, a Le Creuset dutch oven was on my xmas list since 1985 with no takers, I finall decided to treat myself.

Ebay is a good place to pick up a nice dutch oven for alot less than the price of a new one.

sattie said:
Corey.... I can relieve you of one!!!!!! LOL!!!

Ok, I found a Le Creuset for $229 at Tuesday Morning.... holy cow!!!!! I'm going in the wrong direction!!! This was a big one tho, much bigger than I would ever need or use.

OH, went to the movies today for the first time in years....$6 popcorn!!!!! What happened while I was gone????

I want to thank everyone for the links as well... I'm gonna have me a dutch oven very soon!!!!!

At $229? Geez, that must be some deal! Does it clean itself when your done?
Haha!!:LOL:

Candocook, I need to put the pot and cover in the oven to heat. Then I need to remove it from the oven. A hot heavy pot to place in and out of the oven. I prefer the lighter weight pot.

I just pull my oven rack out, take off the top and plump the bread in.
But yes, I have discovered you can use just about ANY container for that bread. I have even used a cookie sheet for the bottom and an inverted (albeit very deep) springform pan for the top!!
A number of people on another board have bought inexpensive cast iron "dutch" ovens just for making this bread--6qt. for $25 on Amazon.

The $229 for the LC pot IS for the HUGE pot that probably lists for $350--maybe 9+ sts. It is a fairly good price for that pot but I am not tempted--'way too heavy and big for any need I have.
Be sure you know the shipping costs when ordering from EBay.

Check for LeCrueset outlet stores in your area. You can get good deals for cosmetic seconds.

I recommend a 7-qt size. It's jut right for a pot roast or a whole chicken or a pot of chili.

Candocook said:
Be sure you know the shipping costs when ordering from EBay.

I paid $9 for shipping on my Le Creuset from ebay. The seller shipped it parcel post. Sellers should specify their shipping rates, if not, email them and ask them what it it would cost before you bid.

I have seen Le Creuset dutch ovens at the Williams Sonoma Outlet near my home, but the prices were not cheap enough for me. Ditto with the Le Creuset outlet I stopped at in Illinois last year.

I have had great luck with the Le Creuset outlet near me. I go right to the seconds shelves, and paw through until I find a piece that looks perfect. Then I take it over to the first quality pans to compare it millimeter by millimeter and if I can't find the flaw (which is usually the case) I buy it. Those seconds are already 40% off retail. Throughout the year they have specials for additional 20% and 30% off if you're on their preferred customer list, which brings the prices down even more. The only problem is the colors are limited.

At the LeCrueset Outlet Store today, I saw a seconds 7.25 Quart round oven for $186.

Williams-Sonoma wanted $450 for the same item first quality.

Andy M. said:
At the LeCrueset Outlet Store today, I saw a seconds 7.25 Quart round oven for $186.

Williams-Sonoma wanted $450 for the same item first quality.
Fuh fuh four-hundred fifty?!? That is laughable. I found a site online that sells the 7.25qt for $165 with free shipping; 4 or 5 color choices. Something was wrong with their checkout though, might have to call 'em. If anyone is interested PM me for a link.

sattie said:
Yes, please send to me!!!! I am still going to add an enamled one to my collection as well, but would like to investigate these as well....

Here it is: http://www.thegrillstoreandmore.com/aluminum-dutch-ovens.asp
Nothing fancy, but I guarantee you that my stew from on of these pots is just as good or better than one from somebody's Le Cruset, not that I am against them. Just can't justify spending that kind of money, unless it's a knife. :rolleyes:

Why pay that much for an enamled cast iron dutch oven when you can pick up plain cast iron dutch oven at Bass Pro for under $50, with out legs,that will do the same job and is naturely nonstick?

Why pay that much for an enamled cast iron dutch oven when you can pick up plain cast iron dutch oven at Bass Pro for under $50, with out legs,that will do the same job and is naturely nonstick?

Elf said:

I find that bare cast iron requires more work. And while it's quite serviceable, it's ugly. I like pretty things. So I pay for enameled :) but never full price!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom