"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 10-17-2004, 09:24 PM   #21
Master Chef
Oh yeah Andy - there are differences! Actually, the Emerilware isn't that bad ... once you learn to use your knob and lower the heat a bit. Since my apartments replaced my gas stove with an electric one about the same time I got my new cookware it was a total learning curve. :x

I've got a couple of pieces of All-Clad tri-ply and I really don't see any difference between it and Emerilware for most things ... except for the weight.

Now - one thing I can't figure out is Viking's 7-ply cookware. It's an aluminum core clad between two layers of stainless steel. To me - that seems like tri-ply. Maybe I slept through math that day ....

Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 03:09 PM   #22
Assistant Cook
While I agree that all-clad is fine cookware and have owned it, I can't and won't pay the prices. I can't and don't believe that the performance of All-Clad and Calphalon One is enough to justify the extreme cost. Go to a resturant supply store and look at their prices.

I too have a mix of brands...Loge cast iron, cuisinart chef's classic (sauce pans, stock pots), and claphalon tri-ply (non stick skillets).

My decisions were based on cooks Illustrated recommendations, a wonderful write up on cookware over at Egullet.com, friends in the food business, and just buyin'/tryin'.

Please dont flame me for being the only All-CLad dissenter in this forum. Its very good cookware but I don't think the price is justified.

Markf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 03:41 PM   #23
Chief Eating Officer
Hey Markf, you won't get flamed for saying that. Your choices of cookware are solid and you are right about the supply stores. I do own All Clad (among other things) and really enjoy it not just for its abilities in the kitchen, but I also like how it looks. For me it was worth the extra $ to have cookware that looks as nice as AC. Now, that being said, if I knew of a restaurant supply store near me I probably would have gotten some stuff there too
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:09 PM   #24
Senior Cook
So the Emerilware is heavier than the regular All-Clad?
Ekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:38 PM   #25
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
hmm i use stuff you can find at macys and i started off with Le Crueset. very nice and durable

masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote