"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 06-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
Cook

Is there any hope for this cast iron skillet? (Caution, not for the faint hearted)

A while back my step mom borrowed our cast Iron skillet. When she was done, without asking or even knowing, she put it in the.... (whispering) dishwasher... (I hope no one heard me).

Now I am having the toughest of times trying to re-season it. How do you repair a skillet that has been... (whispering) dish-washed?

Old 06-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Executive Chef

You may need to strip the old seasoning off of it first. Then, just keep seasoning it. It will come eventually. You can't really ruin cast iron, unless you burn it so bad it pits.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
Cook

how do you strip the old seasoning, and how will I know when the job is done?
Old 06-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I would scrub it off with a scouring pad for starters. You will be able tell what is seasoned and what isn't as you progress. The seasoned areas should be darker and shinier. Then, once it is all cleaned off and smooth, start your seasoning process again.

Now, that is what I would do. Others may have their own opinions of what is the best method...
Old 06-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
Head Chef

I fill the pan with water and boil it for a few minutes. Next, scrub with hot soapy water. Put it back on the hot stove to dry and when cooled down start the seasoning process.
Repeat the seasoning process 4 or 5 times. I like to use flaxseed oil, applying a thin coat each time. The oven is set @ 325 degrees for one hour. Let the pan cool to room temp, then repeat the process.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
Everymom

What salt and pepper said +1 for cleaning. I season my skillets differently. I get a big old slab of bacon and render it slowly.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

First of all, what do you see that suggests the seasoning needs reseasoning? Is it rusted? If not, there is still seasoning there and it is doing its job protecting the iron. That seasoning can serve as a base for more. Heat your oven to 350F, apply a THIN coat of fat to the entire pan, inside and out and put it in the oven upside down with foil or a pan underneath to catch any drips. Bake it for an hour or so then turn off the oven and leave the pan in the oven to cool.

If it's rusted, the easiest way to remove seasoning is to put it in your gas grill turned up full and leave it until all the seasoning burns off. After it cools, proceed as above with the fat and oven.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockey_f_squirrell View Post
A while back my step mom borrowed our cast Iron skillet. When she was done, without asking or even knowing, she put it in the.... (whispering) dishwasher... (I hope no one heard me).

Now I am having the toughest of times trying to re-season it. How do you repair a skillet that has been... (whispering) dish-washed?

My mother used to routinely put hers in the dishwasher.

They lived to cook another day.

Why do you want to strip it?
Old 06-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
What salt and pepper said +1 for cleaning. I season my skillets differently. I get a big old slab of bacon and render it slowly.
The trouble with bacon fat or any animal fat is that it can get rancid!
Old 06-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
Everymom

Agreed s&p. No real problem on my CI though. Its 70+ years old and still going strong. For my NEW CI, I used either sunflower or canola...can't remember! It was a long while ago now. After the initial seasoning its bacon all the way baby!