Just bought my first Le Cruset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gretchen said:
To Andy. Yes, it DOES. It was an attempt to say that not all ovens are Dutch ovens and especially LC. The previous post referred to them as "dutch ovens". Were you aware of it? Just wondering.

Yes.

I consider the two terms to be interchangeable.

Dutch oven = French oven = large covered saucepan.

Gretchen, have you seen the Mario Batali line in person? I'm wondering if they're as heavy as a LeC.

Drama Queen said:
ANDYM: Yes the LeCreuset does a great job of browning, however, my family loves my Osso Buco and when I make it I have to make a huge batch and have to brown the shanks in separate batches. If I brown too many shanks in the LeC it stains the bottom and is hard to remove. I use my LeC for browning small (normal size) batches of meats and poultry but for large batches I use the Farberware stainless skillet then transfer to the LeC. Awesome!!!

But what about the fond?:(

Barkeeper's Friend should pretty easily clean your LC, btw.

If I brown too many shanks in the LeC it stains the bottom and is hard to remove. I use my LeC for browning small (normal size) batches of meats and poultry but for large batches I use the Farberware stainless skillet then transfer to the LeC. Awesome!!!

Not a problem at all. Just a little clorox water will clean up the discoloration. There is really no reason to have two pans for browning. The heavier LC is far superior. Plus the discoloration does nothing anyway.

Good for you! I always wanted one, but unwilling to spend the money. Instead, I bought a look alike from Target, believe me, not the same. Sticks on the bottom all the time. Can't even make a good pot of sauce in it.

Re the MB line, on another board there is a cooking school chef/ instructor and cookbook author who says they are of excellent quality--and she owns about every LC there is.
There are many enamel cast iron lines available. I have an Innova 7 1/2qt. that I paid $45 on amazon. It is every bit as good as my LCs. Daniel Bolud has a line that is very affordable. Tuesday Morning sells Staub and LC at big discounts. Marshall's and TJMaxx and SteinMart, etc. all have them from time to time. Amazon has amazing sales on them sometimes with coupons that will take$25-30 off.
As for burning and sticking (I assume this was an enamel cast iron and not just plain cast iron), some dishes require more attention than others, even in an LC.

jennyema said:
But what about the fond?:(

Barkeeper's Friend should pretty easily clean your LC, btw.

There is a great deal of fond left in the Farberware skillet. I just pour a little wine into it and when it sizzles I pour the whole thing into the LeCreuset along with the shanks. Can't leave the fond behind!! :cool:

Update...

It shipped out yesterday. Hopefully it will be here in time to make a great Sunday dinner. Now for suggestions (except for Osso Vuco which I made last Sunday).

now you've done it. gone and bought a good piece of cookware. you'll be hooked forever...it's addictive!

Kinda hot out for chili. Maybe a beef or lamb stew. I knwo the possibilities are endless but darnit if I can't think of a good meal to help break it in LOL.

edited by GB for inappropriate comment

Last edited by a moderator:
My previous post was edited by GB as inappropriate. While I understand this is a very wholesome site I certainly didn't mean any disrespect. I felt the comment was more humor based and not inappropriate in the least. Still, the fact of the matter is it was corrected. I apologize for those who have read my original post and found it to be in poor taste.

Pork loin braised with apples and onions. The French dish, Agneau au sept heures. A chicken fricassee. Short ribs any number of ways.

I have a large LC and a small one. Also a lidded fry pan. I cannot lift the filled large one out of the oven. The pan is very heavy too. I love them all, and hope you enjoy yours as I enjoy mine. They are my magic pots.

Back
Top Bottom