"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 11-13-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
Master Chef

Knowing your Pan

Pan, skillet, saucier, whatever it is that you use, I feel you have to "know" your pan in order to cook well. Like my cast iron skillet. It took much time of trial and error to know how my CIS cooked, what the limits are... knowing your pans intimately.

Up untill 3 months ago... I did not know my stainless steel pan. Practically scared of it and avoided using it. But after forcing myself to use it more, I realize what a wonderful cooking utensile it is. (Yes, I had to force myself to use this pan.. I just new I would end up screwing up yet another dinner by over cooking or burning it!)

My next pan to get to know better: Dutch Oven!

Are there pans that you have that you are afraid to use because you are not familiar with their characteristics? Or what pan do you know well... can depend on for consistent results?

Old 11-13-2008, 11:52 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Never really thought about it. Guess I always went with "wild abandon" when it came to our cookware. I'm not really one with any of our pans either. Just use them as I see fit for the recipe or how I feel. Perhaps not very chef-like, but it works for us.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:01 AM   #3
Master Chef

I'm definately not chef like. But over the years I started buying quality kitchen items to replace my cruddy ones. Like the SS and DO... I can't tell you how long my SS sat in the pantry before I got the guts to try and use it.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:04 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Absolutely...I am one with the pan. I have cast iron, black steel, tinned copper, All-Clad and Revere institutional pans. SS pressure cookers and stock pots. I know just how each of the pans I have cooks.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:02 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
Absolutely...I am one with the pan. I have cast iron, black steel, tinned copper, All-Clad and Revere institutional pans. SS pressure cookers and stock pots. I know just how each of the pans I have cooks.
I have an 8 inch SS pan that I am afraid to use because many of the foods I have cooked in it have either burned or stuck to the bottom. So what little secret can you tell me that will help me develope some skill with SS pans?
Old 11-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOpig View Post
I have an 8 inch SS pan that I am afraid to use because many of the foods I have cooked in it have either burned or stuck to the bottom. So what little secret can you tell me that will help me develope some skill with SS pans?

Sometimes the problem is with the pan.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:20 PM   #7
Executive Chef

My All Clad non stick skillet.

I only use it for eggs...maaaaaybe crepes, but I have good luck with crepes in a SS pan. The one time I tried cooking, I think it was some sort of chicken braise, the food wasn't doing what I wanted it to.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:26 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOpig View Post
What have you cooked in the "pan of doom?" What make is the pan? I ask because I have tried a lot of SS pans, and discarded most of them. Is it clad or all-SS?
Old 11-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Sometimes the problem is with the pan.
When it comes to my cooking that is the answer I always give!!
Old 11-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
What have you cooked in the "pan of doom?" What make is the pan? I ask because I have tried a lot of SS pans, and discarded most of them. Is it clad or all-SS?
Embarassed to say I think it is Farberware and is all SS. Eggs, potatoes, reheat turkey are the ones that come to mind right off.