"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 04-09-2007, 02:56 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Le Creuset

I'm someone who watches Food Network & NEED ALL the tools I see them using. To let you know, I have a 4 &3/4, and a 2 1/2( I think). Love the larger of the 2 for Marinara sauce.>>>But, I picked up a 6 & 3/4th($129 @ Home Goods), & a 9 & 1/2 @ Le Creuset outlet for ($180,... .second).....Think the 91/2 is TOO Big?.........Love all of your input!!

Old 04-09-2007, 03:14 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs
I'9 & 1/2 @ Le Creuset outlet for ($180,... .second).....Think the 91/2 is TOO Big?.........Love all of your input!!

I got my big mama at the outlet, too. It was about $150, so naturally I had to have it!

It's not too big if you entertain or like to make big batches of stuff and freeze them.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:34 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

You can NEVER have too much LC! I could open my own store and no, I really don't need it all but I just love it.

If you're asking what you basically should have in LC, I'd say (1) 5 or 8 qt round French oven (depending on the amount of food you cook), and maybe (1) 9 1/2 qt oval oven. The saucepans and frypans are not really all that useful (although I have them too).

I recently ordered the 8 qt Staub with black matte interior from Amazon.com. Great price at $134. It's arriving today and I have BIG plans for that one!

M.D.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:38 AM   #14
Master Chef

As many as you can afford, if you ask me, in every size and color possible. If I could lift them (my arms hurt) that is what i would get.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:47 PM   #15
Cook

I'm saving for a tagine a two quart cocotte and a 4 quart soup pot(I love braising but we're a family of two). Now if the gubmint would just give me my money I'd get a-spending.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:22 AM   #16
Head Chef

Finally, I recently took the plunge and got 4 pieces of LC: a Dutch oven, a skillet, a long-handled small cooking pot, and a one-burner grill pan.

So far, only the grill pan isn't getting a work out. What would you suggest? Thanks!
Old 07-05-2007, 10:04 AM   #17
Senior Cook

My wife got me a set, I use the 7qt and 5.5qt a lot. I also have a 14in. baking disk that is great. I think two would do nicely.

later
Old 07-05-2007, 11:23 AM   #18
Executive Chef

the tagine is really fun to use. Needs very little liquid, gives you great big flavors and looks kewl on the stove top.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:23 PM   #19
Master Chef

Chopstix, I'd say in the winter time you'll find more use for the grill. When it is cold outside you will be use it inside. Then, of course I am not suree about your whether.

Again, all I can say i am envy you folks, I can't even lift my 9" cast iron pan anymore, and even non-stick 12" pan is too heavy for me now.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:19 AM   #20
Head Chef

Thanks CharlieD. By the way, it's never cold outside where I am :-) There's basically just two seasons here -- wet and dry season. And during both seasons, it's warm. (I actually love the weather here.)

I hear you about the heaviness of the cast iron. I think I got tennis elbow from lifting my LC pieces!