"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-11-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Looking for a quality Wok

My finance and I own a all-clad wok. Which we absolutely love, and the best man and maid of honor for our wedding are always telling us how much they also like it. So we were talking about getting them a Wok as our gift to them for our wedding, but we don't want to spend the $230 dollars we spent on ours.

Does anyone know of a nice round bottomed wok around $75-125? They have a gas range, so I know they would prefer one like ours that has a base included to really get the full use of it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Old 10-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I've never used a clad wok (i.e. two metals bonded together), so I'm unaware of the advantages of such a different and expensive piece. I've only ever used a solid steel wok, usually a hand-hammered import from someplace such as Thailand. Once it's been seasoned (just like a cast iron skillet) I've been completely satisfied with the results of using it on a gas stove. And my Thai food tastes like it's from Thailand. I believe the most I've ever paid for one has been about $45.

A wok that properly focuses the heat is the point that I look for. Non-stick surface comes with use.

Most any kitchen shop carries them.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
Half Baked

Stop by your local asian super market and check them out.We have several with decent selections.Best place to buy a japanese rice cooker too IMHO.I have used mine on my turkey fryer burner.That gets hot!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

WOKSHOP.COM: Selling woks and Asian kitchenware for over 40 years | Woks | Wok Accessories | Cleavers & Knives | Rice Cookers & Hot Pots | Sushi & Sake | Chinese Crockery | Stoves | Asian Tableware | Kitchen Tools | Creative Corner (for caterers) | U
Old 10-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I agree wokshop.com

Much less than $75
Old 10-12-2010, 07:03 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Most of the Manufacturers there are not even listed. Just don't want to get a low craftsmanship wok that will fall apart on them in a year.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Price is no guarantee of that. Besides, it's two handles riveted onto a steel bowl. If anyone tears that up, then something's wrong, and it's not the wok.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:34 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by setti View Post
Most of the Manufacturers there are not even listed. Just don't want to get a low craftsmanship wok that will fall apart on them in a year.
Price is no guarantee of that. Besides, it's two handles riveted onto a steel bowl. If anyone tears that up, then something's wrong, and it's not the fault of the wok.

Forget about manufacturer's names. In this case, they're essentially meaningless. Get out, go to a kitchen store and look at them in person. You'll save yourself $20 in shipping.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by setti View Post
They also sell thru Amazon. I am considering ordering a cast iron wok from them.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

True wok cooking is done is a carbon steel wok. Good ones are very inexpensive. This is one area where price does not necessarily determine quality. Clad or cast iron woks are not used in traditional wok cooking as they posses qualities that are not beneficial for that style of cooking. With a wok, you want the heat concentrated at the base and you want it to cool quickly as you go up the sides. This allows you to add ingredients and move them up the sides as they are done cooking and you add new ingredients. This way everything cooks in the right time and nothing gets overcooked. Clad and cast iron do the opposite. They hold onto heat and are great at distributing it evenly. That is excellent for some forms of cooking, but not for traditional wok cooking.

Now that is not to say that a clad or cast iron wok can not be a great pan to use. It just depends on what you are using it for. I have a non-stick wok that I love, but I would never use it for traditional wok cooking as that is done at super high heat and high heat and Teflon do not mix well. I use my non-stick wok more like a big frying pan with high sides. it comes in handy when I am making something that my 12" fry pan can not handle.

For a traditional quality wok, do not worry about price or brand name. Look at the constructions and handles. Is it made of carbon steel? How are the handles attached to the wok? How many and what type of handles does it have? Those are going to be the more important factors in getting a quality wok then price or name.