"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 06-20-2006, 07:43 PM   #11
Executive Chef

you should have a cast iron skillet...buy a brand name like Lodge
you should have a sliverstone lined aluminum skillet...get thick aluminum. at stores like Bed bath and beyond and Linens and things there are specials on certain Calphalon pans...a two-fer.
You should have an enameled cast iron caserole. Le Crueset is $$, but there are others out there for much less made in China, and with care they will last you. THe Mario Batali Pot from Copco is a good one at 1/2 the cost of Le Crueset.
You should have a set of sauce pans and a saute pan of tri ply (usually aluminum sandwiched between stainless) THe best is probably AllClad, but that is also the $$. Le Gourmet Chef and Cooks Collection, and mall cooking stores like these have house brands of tri ply that will save you $$ and be very durable. Martha Stewart also has a K Mart line with copper exterior that is fine.

Cast iron holds the heat well, great for searing and slow oven cooking. Aluminum heats quickly and evenly. Stainless doesn't but is non reactive to acids (wine, lemmon, etc) thus the variety method does you best.

If you are into QVC, their Technique anodized aluminum pans (hte dark gray ones ) lined with silver stone are quite good and a good price. The rest I don't care for. I don't like the disk bottom pans except the really high price French ones. not a bargain. But to each his or her own.

No pan is "unhealthy" if used correctly. Never store food in the pan you cooked in. If you can (glass) it's not much of a responsive pan, although glass does have it's uses too.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:32 PM   #12
Executive Chef

FYI it took me all of 20 seconds to go to advanced search, type in the word "cookware", select the "Cookware and Accessories" sub-forum under the General Coooking main forum, and click search:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...earchid=252492

Old 06-21-2006, 12:00 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
The part I quoted makes sense to me. After reading your post of 3:08 I read all your previous posts and none of them gave even a hint of the tone I congratulated Andy M. on overlooking. Please accept my apology.

Unneccesary but Accepted, I'm an old IRC use (pre Forum style of live chat) and have always used ;) this is only the second place i've ever come across that didnt accept it that way. *shrugs* different board, different config. the other needed [;)] the brackets were the key there. Just gotta learn what that one is here.

Thanks for your other info, when i get around to getting the things together it will be of use to me.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:21 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova5
Good old fashion Cast Iron
Stainless Steel
Aluminum
Etc.

Whats good/badd about them? Looking ot buy a set in a few months, would hate to buy junk. also whats a decent brand that does'nt cost to much for a start. buying a home in about 6-8 months and movin out of parents place so i'll need some stuff. Mom got a new mixer and this'nthats so i stole the old stuff.
Alton Brown has written pretty extensively on this subject in his book "Gear for Your Kitchen." At $27.50 in hardback, it might be seen as a little pricey, but offers a wealth of information regarding just about anything you might want for your kitchen.

Yes, old AB is pretty opinionated about stuff, but he lays out the pros and cons about the various metals and coatings and the like in a pretty objective manner.

I for one found the entire book a fascinating read, and I frequently refer to it when I am looking for a new kitchen tool.

Kelly