"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Yes and No...I never carry "wet" meat to the fire...The surface of the meat "boils" and does not sear well...In a grill pan..In a skillet or On a BBQ grill...If you marinate (Which IMO is mostly a waste of time and resources) then dry the meat off before taking it to the fire.
Uncle Bob said it very well. ALWAYS dry your meat off before putting it into a pan or onto a grill. Not doing so will give you "gunk" and unbrowned meat/fish as well.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:44 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Uncle Bob said it very well. ALWAYS dry your meat off before putting it into a pan or onto a grill. Not doing so will give you "gunk" and unbrowned meat/fish as well.
Well, that's not possible with this particular dish. It's not a marinade per se, it's more of a glaze. You apply it a few times throughout the cooking process and you don't ever let the meat soak in it, its thick, too thick to absorbe. I've done this on my George Forman for years without a problem, it was when I switched to the CI that I had the problem. Maybe I'll just not use the CI for this particular dish. Sorry, I'm not sure what "unbrowned" meat means.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #13
Head Chef

Maybe the CI got too hot?
Old 03-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #14
Everymom

Unbrowned means that the outside of your meat never gets a good sear on it. When it is wet and touches the grill all that happens is the water starts to evaporate, and steam etc, and it never actually touches the grill because the water keeps it off.

OK that was a really crappy description. Sorry. Anyone with a better grasp of language today that can help?
Old 03-29-2009, 07:56 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Okay, I've decided this thing is going back. It's now rusted and if this rusted within 55 days of owning it, granted I did run water over it but I haven't used abrasives on it or anything that would cause rust to appear. I didn't allow water to sit on it or anything. Rust? No, this needs to go back.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Okay, I've decided this thing is going back. It's now rusted and if this rusted within 55 days of owning it, granted I did run water over it but I haven't used abrasives on it or anything that would cause rust to appear. I didn't allow water to sit on it or anything. Rust? No, this needs to go back.

With cast iron, if you scrub off or burn off the seasoning, it will rust just from the humidity in the air. It's not defective. Once all the gunk (and rust) is cleaned off, it needs to be seasoned just as you did your CI pans.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:16 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I did the whole process, the one you recommended that made my other pans ROCK but the rust is still there. I did the Crisco thing where I put the light coat and let it stay in the oven for an hour at 350. That's where the rust became truly predominate. I've restored a piece that was 100% rusted and this grill is acting worse than that piece.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:29 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Not sure I understand. Did you put the shortening on a rusty griddle?
Old 03-29-2009, 08:35 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Not sure I understand. Did you put the shortening on a rusty griddle?
No I put the shortening on a grill that I had busted my butt cleaning and at the end of an hour, it was rusty. I followed everything I did with all the other pans and this one rusted in two circles where the heat hits the grill.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

After applying the shortening, di dyou heat it on the stove top or in the oven?