Product review: "Oxo Good Grips Chef's Digital Leave-In Thermometer"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Who Cooks

Executive Chef
I bought it a few days ago at Bed Bath and Beyond, $39.99 minus your 20% off coupon--you get them, right, just sign up and you get a 20% off coupon every month, I've got a wad thick enough to choke a horse, and don't throw away those expired BBB coupons, unofficial store policy is that they honor them forever--so the price of this item is $40 - 20% = $32 plus any applicable sales tax.

(the image is hot linked to BBB's site, click it to get to their product page)

I recall (perhaps erroneously) that I posted a review about another BBB thermometer I bought, a remote reading wireless digital thermometer, and it annoyed the heck out of me because the dam thing kept flashing even when nothing needed attention. BBB of course offers full 100% product satisfaction guarantee, so I took that sick puppy back and got a full refund.

Anyway the Oxo worked out great tonight. I cooked a turkey thigh and stabbed it with the probe and cooked it until it was nearing 165, and the thermometer worked perfectly. An interesting feature is that the probe stores in the body of the thermometer readout unit, although it took me a dozen minutes to get it to store right. I think it's because they anticipated the cable would stretch out with use and my thermo is new and I couldn't quite make the jack store in its place, but eventually I got it right.

So really I'm not a big Oxo fan (in fact I mostly dislike their products, except my Oxo corkscrew) but this one works great.

I don't like that "clip the receiver to your belt and wander around and have it beep you when it's done" technology. I just wanna see what the internal temp is. I don't mind looking every few minutes. All I want is the temp. The Oxo does this fine, and it has a bunch of other functions I'll probably never use.

Folks, it's an oven thermometer. What else does it need to do except let you jack it into your roast and close the oven door and see the temp as you roast, right? Everything else is bells and whistles, and I don't need that stuff.

One odd thing, the cable isn't the typical metal wound variety, it looks like a common plastic cable like you'd find on your music player earphones. It doesn't look like it would survive oven temperatures, it looks like it would melt, but it didn't.

So to summarize, +5 stars on a 5 scale, this is exactly what I wanted in a remote reading oven roasting thermometer. You jack it into your roast, you slam the door on the cable, and then as your roast cooks you can constantly read its internal temperature. That's all I want and all I need.

(I asked Siri on my iPhone to run a timer to tell how long my roast was in the oven. That worked fine. Recently I asked Siri "What is the meaning of life?" The answer was, "Chocolate." On a previous occasion, same question, the reply: "You're asking an inanimate device about the meaning of life???" :yum:)

Anyway, thumbs up on this thermometer! Buy it!

Last edited:
Hi Greg,

So the probe is in the roast. Does the display hang external/outside the oven door?

Does it say how high a temp the thermometer can withstand heat? If used in grilling, the temps can get quite a bit higher than an oven.

My probe thermometer takes only a few seconds to display the temp, but still, every time I open the oven or grill top, heat escapes and the cooking temp needs to come back up. I noticed in the fall, with lower air temps, the grill temp decreased dramatically when leaving the cover open even just a little while. Which I suspect affects the temp the meat cooks at.

Hi Greg,

So the probe is in the roast. Does the display hang external/outside the oven door?

Does it say how high a temp the thermometer can withstand heat? If used in grilling, the temps can get quite a bit higher than an oven.

My probe thermometer takes only a few seconds to display the temp, but still, every time I open the oven or grill top, heat escapes and the cooking temp needs to come back up. I noticed in the fall, with lower air temps, the grill temp decreased dramatically when leaving the cover open even just a little while. Which I suspect affects the temp the meat cooks at.

I'm amazed that this plastic looking cable can stand the 350-500F temperatures normally encountered in oven roasting.

If you're using a "stick in" rather than a "leave in" thermometer then you're missing one of the great modern kitchen conveniences.

I have another "stick in" thermometer with a metallic cable but (blah, blah) you've heard this before, all my good stuff is in storage. I'm still house hunting, and by the time I get a house I'll have two of everything.

As far as the RF "belt pager, remote wireless read-out" units, you can stick them all as far as I'm concerned. I don't need any walk around readout, all I need is the patience to look at the thermometer every 10 minutes or so.

Last edited:
thanks for the review, greg.

i have one of those (not an oxo brand, though) and the remote wireless readout helps me in that i can be in the upstairs apartment doing something and keep an eye on the temp of whatever i have in the smoker or on the grill out back.

the probe doesn't work that well on the grill's rotisserie, though... :wacko:

I just had a look at the reviews posted at BB&B and they were about 2:1 against it (maybe even a bit worse than that). Part of my enthusiasm comes from the previous unit I tried, this one here, the Maverick Professional remote cooking thermometer.

maverickremotecookingth.jpg

It's available at BB&B for $39.99 (less 20% if you have the coupon).

It did everything it said it would do, and worked perfectly, except the damned remote readout unit kept blinking on and off, on and off, about once or twice a second. (LCD readout.) The damned thing drove me crazy. I read the manual cover to cover and there was no way to turn off the damned blinking that I could find.

Anyway I ended up clipping the readout to a shelf next to the stove anyway so the remote did me no good.

Regarding the OXO unit, I don't see anything that would indicate you could use it on a gas grill or outdoor barbecue. My advice: better not try it. Although a few reviews at BBB indicate OXO sent them a free replacement for a failed probe. I'm definitely keeping my receipt and warranty handy.

Lots of bad reviews when I went to look at it on Amazon, too. I think it had a 3 out of 5. Those folks said Oxo would not replace the probe, or you could not replace just the probe. Something like that.
Maverick's have always done well in the ratings. I bought one for my BIL when I got him a smoker for Christmas.

I've used the remote thermometers both with the clip on-radio unit, and one that had a magnet on it, so you could put it on your stove door or side. The probelm with all of them has been that after several uses, the wire that goes from the probe to the reader breaks, from the pressure of the oven door, or the BBQ grill lid. They have all had the plastic sheathing to cover the wires. I would love to see a steel-wound jacket around the wires to better protect them. They all worked, until the wire went bad.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind fo the North

Well so far the Oxo has worked okay for me. Maybe I'll try it on my gas grill. <EG> (30 day satisfaction refund guarantee)

I'm surprised this plastic cable survives ordinary oven roasting temperatures.

I have a leave in probe like that (different brand) and I absolutely love it! Mine was only around $10, but I've verified the accuracy with ice cold water, boiling water, and tested against another thermometer. It has a 3 foot plastic coated cord, and can withstand temps up to 450°. I use it for everything- smoking, roasting, grilling, sous vide- you name it! It's probably gotten hotter than 450° on the grill and hasn't been damaged. Since it was only $10, I won't be too concerned when the cord goes bad. I've probably already gotten my money's worth lol

Back
Top Bottom