"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-25-2008, 09:57 AM   #21
Sous Chef

i hear fabulous things about the Zo line of products. I keep saying if my DAK (breadmaker) ever "goes", I'd only replace it with a Zo !

Old 10-01-2008, 03:57 PM   #22
Master Chef

I'm glad I found this thread because the New York Times had a very interesting article in their food section today on rice cookers & what you can use them for other than rice. They had two wonderful recipes - one Korean with kimchee & salmon; the other an Indian chicken biryanii - that I'd love to try. Both made completely in the rice cooker.

Plus, I do make rice every single day for an elderly dog with very few teeth left who needs it in her food. And as a minor point I also make it at least once or twice a week for we humans.

So I'm kinda thinking a rice cooker would be a good purchase for me (duh!! lol!). However, I'm not going to spend $100+ on one. At least not until I have the chance to play around with a cheaper model.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:13 PM   #23
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
I'm not going to spend $100+ on one. At least not until I have the chance to play around with a cheaper model.
Not that I disagree with your stance on not spending a fortune on a rice cooker, but playing around with a cheaper one will not necessarily let you know if you would appreciate a more expensive one. I have a cheapo one ($10-$20 or so) and hated it. We got rid of it and never thought we would ever want one again. Eventually I got an expensive one though and I can not say enough good things about it. I got it with credit card points though, not real money. I never would have paid that much for a rice cooker with my own money although now that I have used it and know what it does then I do think it is well worth it and I will not hesitate to spend that much or more when I need my next one.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:22 PM   #24
Master Chef

Well, Michael in FtW posted that he was pleased with the model he bought at WalMart, so I'm thinking I may look into that one. And since we have a HUGE Asian market about an hour away, I may also stop in there & look at their offerings as well.

I just can't justify $100-$200 for it, but if I end up liking the concept, even if the cheaper model isn't perfect, might be able to justify it down the road.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #25
Chief Eating Officer

I hope the cheaper one you get works well for you. I know of many many many people who LOVE their inexpensive ones, so I bet you will have good luck.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:05 AM   #26
Assistant Cook

I got mine for $40. stainless steel look Russell Hobbs 10 cup. Havent used it yet though...
Old 10-12-2008, 06:22 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

Well, a bit of self promotion here, if you are looking to buy a rice cooker, do check out my rice cooker blog - ricecookerreview.wordpress.com, and I have written a few articles about how to select the best rice cooker and some best rice cookers recommendation.

Feel free drop me a note here at my blog too and let me know what do you think of my rice cooker recommendation, thanks.