"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-29-2006, 12:41 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Slightly scratched All Clad CC vs new LTD/MC2

Hello,

I was wondering if I could get your advice. I found a great deal on an all clad copper core skillet (12") - $99 at that wonderful warehouse of slightly-misused products, TJMax. It has a very slight scratch along the surface of the pan. You can't really feel it, but you can see it. Do you think this will effect cooking performance?

I was very excited when I saw it (I am in the process of upgrading my pots and pans), but the more I am reading about the copper core, the more I am seeing that people don't think there is an advantage over the LTD or MC... so maybe I'd be better off getting a brand new / perfect 12" from another line. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-29-2006, 12:50 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

A surface scratch that you cannot feel will probably not cause a problem with cooking performance. If I was in the market for a new skillet, I'd buy it. It really depends on the relative price vs. the other skillets under consideration.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:54 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Ditto what Andy said. If it is less expensive then the new LTD or MC then I would get it as the scratch will not affect it's performance.

If I were looking at all new stuff without any damage then I would not bother with the Copper core though as, in my opinion, the performance would not be better then the other AC lines.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Scratches in a non stick pan are generally more of a problem than what you're looking at, so go for it!
Sararwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 01:09 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the helpful comments! I think I will indeed keep it

This forum is such a find! It is fascinating to read all of this advice...
Old 12-30-2006, 12:05 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
Your right about TJmaxx. It is definitely worth stopping in to see if the have any steals in there cookware dept. You may have to look hard and often but you can find some great deals. I have bought a number of pans there that were supposedly scratched and after examination I would find a small scratch on the underside. You do need to know the true retail price though because there have been a few items that were not a very good deal.

JDP
Old 12-30-2006, 12:10 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Show the scratch up to the mgr. Maybe she/he will give you another 10%-20% off. Never hurts to try.