Using an egg poacher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbednarski

Assistant Cook
I just got one of those egg poachers that you use on the stove top that consists of a pan, an insert with 4 holes, metal cups that fit in the 4 holes, and a glass lid. Strangely it came without any instructions and I am having a hard time getting things right.

Question 1: How much water? Should it be just a little so it doesn't touch the bottom of the cups? Or is it OK for the water to touch the cups? Or should it come halfway up the cups?

Question 2: Do I want the water boiling so that steam is generated to cook the top while the bottom is being cooked? Or do I want the water just simmering so the bottom doesn't get rubbery?

So far I have used the simmering water approach and it seems as if by the time the top is cooked the bottom is rubbery. I am trying to achieve a tender white with a runny yellow.

It seems as if maybe I need to have the water boiling vigorously to generate more steam to cook the top portion, but I'm worried that the higher heat below will make the white even more rubbery. Or will the shorter time to cook the top prevent this?

Help!!

I just put my eggs directly into simmering water (using a cup that I've cracked the egg into, then swirl the water in the pan, and gently put the egg into it, water has a bit of vinegar added). Sometimes I will spoon the hot water over the top of the egg. Works every time.

Use just enough water to create steam, maybe a 1/4" or so. More and the poacher might float. Low boil or simmer the water enough so steam is created, but not strong enough to splash into the poacher.

Are you putting a cover on? Recommended for even cooking.

Use just enough water to create steam, maybe a 1/4" or so. More and the poacher might float. Low boil or simmer the water enough so steam is created, but not strong enough to splash into the poacher.

Are you putting a cover on? Recommended for even cooking.

Thanks, I will try that. Any words of wisdom on how long to leave the eggs to cook?

I like wiping the inside of each cup with a small dab of butter. Even using non-stick it helps with releasing the cooked egg. Heat 1/2-3/4 inch of water in the pan brought to a hard boil.

Put in the eggs and cover for 3-1/2 to 4 minutes for soft boiled (cooked white, runny yolk). I carefully use a silicone spatula to remove them while holding the egg cup pan directly over the serving plate. (The reason for the slot is for inserting a fork to remove and hold the hot egg cup pan.)

I like mine on toast, or for making eggs Benedict.

Back
Top Bottom