"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-17-2008, 12:12 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaWright View Post
I would recommend starting out with a good stainless set and building from there though.
A set would be great if you needed all of the pieces.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I think that you might have a much better upgraded set.

The one that I had was like the one that was introduced in the '50s.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
First, I can't imagine Revere Ware wearing out. I still have (and constantly use) many of the Revere Ware pieces I started cooking with nearly 50 years ago.
That's funny 'cause I have a couple of my Mothers pans which she started out just a little bit longer than 50 years ago.

When Wife and I married I had to stop her from trying to keep the bottoms shiny, that and sliding them over the cook top is probably how Revere Ware gets 'worn out'.

I agree with the mixture of cookware. I could list the stuff in my kitchen but at one part of the list folks would be thinking ;poor fella, can't afford better' but in other parts of the list others would be thinking 'pretentious braggart'.

I prefer non coated Iron, I got plenty of it. I also have plane stainless, copper and aluminum clad stainless, bare stainless, everything form no name to 'the' name to names I never heard of.

They all work well (or better) or they wouldn't be here. Except for the pieces that were gifts or hand me downs (very few) Wife and I got it all for dimes on the dollar.

I'm a "mechanic" and a tool freak, pots and pans are tools. Not even Snap-On makes the best tool(s) for every task, so don't look for any one manufacturer to fill every need in your cookware.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:38 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
I have lots of different types myself, and not all of it is what I sell. I have Revere from maybe 15 years ago and it is not the same quality as that my MIL had 50 years ago. Now that stuff was made well!

I agree with testing try me pieces in both non-stick and stainless. I think you will have trouble with non-enameled cast iron on your smooth top range ...you need to be looking for smooth bottoms. Tramontina (sp?) has an affordable offering of enamel coated cast iron to try -- I think I recently saw a dutch oven for around $75. If you find that you like that style for certain things like deep frying, braising, etc., then you can consider Le Creuset or the like, which is considerably more of an investment. There are lots of good choices out there in every price range. I wouldn't be without my non-stick skillets for some things, my stainless for others. And we use a grill pan nearly every day, so don't discount that piece as superfluous; it's great for everything from bacon to panini, burgers, steaks and fish filets.

Look for an unconditional warranty where you can return for a full refund if it does not perform to your expectations. Believe it or not, they're out there and I would be the first to take advantage of it. There are also ways to save anywhere from 20 to 50 percent, even in a brick & mortar store. Take your time.

Please let us know what you decide on, even if it's an eclectic mix. That's half the fun!
Old 02-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post

When Wife and I married I had to stop her from trying to keep the bottoms shiny, that and sliding them over the cook top is probably how Revere Ware gets 'worn out'.
I never even thought of that. We have one pot we use only for popping popcorn in on the stove top, and that requires you slide it around a lot on the cook top. I checked the bottom and yes it is wearing it out!
Old 02-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
I think that you might have a much better upgraded set.

The one that I had was like the one that was introduced in the '50s.
DW got them free as they were given to World Kitchen when she worked there, a distributor of kitchen ware. There is the chance, because they are samples meant to entice them into carrying their line, that they are better made than the commercial ones.
One theory she proposed is that they were made at the testing and proving factory in, I believe, TN. But once it hits production, it is made in a factory in China that doesn't necessarily have the same quality standards.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:33 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Thanks to all of you for the wonderful advice. For some reason I had it my brain that I just had to buy a set. I'm going to do as you all suggested which make a lot more sense. I'm going to buy a couple of different pieces to try out first.

I love it too that we will always be buying cookware...you are so right.

And, one of my pieces of revere ware actually split horizontally at the bottom of the pan. It was old and probably the piece I used the most. I think I will replace that one first.

Thanks again to all of you. I am really enjoying this site.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #18
Executive Chef

You're welcome!
Old 02-24-2008, 02:31 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
I never even thought of that. We have one pot we use only for popping popcorn in on the stove top, and that requires you slide it around a lot on the cook top. I checked the bottom and yes it is wearing it out!

I didn't say a word to Wife .....

I'm on the idiot box when I hear a pan lid start rattling.

I figure Wife is putting stuff away but the rattling goes on, and on, and on.

I go see what she's up to and be darned, Wifes making popcorn on the stove.

First time I've had popcorn made that way in decades. I forgot how good it is.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:10 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Question A little bit of this, a little bit of that ...

The last 2 pieces of our Revere-ware are on their last legs, the pasta pot handles are really oxidizing these days.

If you want non-stick & you have to use the dishwasher, only Circulon is touted as truly dishwasher safe, and no I don't/have never owned any. I never really gravitated to it, but I notice more people buying it & checking it out at Macy's.

We have Calphalon non-stick of various vintages (we had a set of what I believe was the 1st commercial grade non-stick). We have a lot of Caphalon ss (practically a full set) & 1 piece of All clad ss.

We also have a 3 piece Mauviel Copper, and we have 5 pieces of Le Creuset. We just don't own a cast iron skillet.

Out of all of that, the non-stick fry pans get used for eggs, the dishwasher has eaten the coating off the back of the 2nd generation nonstick Caphalon frypan, its now Electrosol blue and I don't think that's coming off. Needless to say, we've been handwashing that one lately.

The stainlesses are the workhorses for us, we use it almost everyday and it's dishwasher friendly.

Long winded and I'm sorry, but we started exactly where you are. My view is you can't go with 1 thing, and you may find what you think you like you may not use too much (yea, the expensive Mauviel was my idea )