Wire Rack and Wax Paper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

want4rain

Assistant Cook
when i get my cookies out sometimes they crumble. it says to remove from the cookie sheet and cool on a wire rack. well i HAVE wire racks but my cookies sometimes fall apart because the spaces between the wire grid is so wide. can i put wax paper down?? or do i need to go get wire racks with less space between the wires?

thanks again!! (this is dumb question #2 for today!!!:LOL:)

-ashley

A cooling rack usually has smaller spaces between the wire to prevent this problem. It's better to not use paper as it prevents the circulation of air and promotes the collection of moisture.

Most likely wire rack has nothjing to do with the fact that cookies brake. It is the recipe that you are using.

:) Or you need to let cookies cool a little on pan so they can set up a bit before putting on wires.Usually you can not take them off the pan right out of oven.

For what it's worth, I think cooling racks with little square grids are a lot handier than the kind with mostly parallel wires.

jpmcgrew said:
:) Or you need to let cookies cool a little on pan so they can set up a bit before putting on wires.Usually you can not take them off the pan right out of oven.

that mean i need to take it out of the oven a smidgen early? when it said to let it cool on the rack i was hurrying to take them off the pan but i figured since the cookies set up firm that if i could leave it on the sheet a little longer we wouldnt have the crumbling cookie problem. :)

-ashley

skilletlicker said:
For what it's worth, I think cooling racks with little square grids are a lot handier than the kind with mostly parallel wires.

*snickers* i assumed so but seeing as i was a single mom for several years im too cheap to go out and buy ANOTHER wire rack when i already had one. :rolleyes:

-ashley

Andy M. said:
A cooling rack usually has smaller spaces between the wire to prevent this problem. It's better to not use paper as it prevents the circulation of air and promotes the collection of moisture.

yep, learned that one today!!!

-ashley

want4rain said:
that mean i need to take it out of the oven a smidgen early? when it said to let it cool on the rack i was hurrying to take them off the pan but i figured since the cookies set up firm that if i could leave it on the sheet a little longer we wouldnt have the crumbling cookie problem. :)

-ashley
No you still need to bake them the required time just set pan on stove and let them firm up a bit.Just experiment a little and see what I mean pull a couple of cookies off pan if they are to soft to hold shape wait a few minutes and pull off a couple more until you figure out when they hold their shape.This is not rocket science so dont stress out if you left them on the pan to cool they would still turn out good.Just make sure pan is cooled before adding a new batch of raw cookie dough to bake.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom