"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 10-06-2008, 06:13 PM   #41
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Buller View Post
There are many debates among knife users, sharpeners and cutlers, and here are a few.

4). German or Japanese. Careful here. Lots of "Japanese" knives are made in China and are not (laminated), folded or clad. These are made in the Japanese 'style,' meaning they are shaped like traditional examples. If you buy Japanese knives (or want to start) simply research the brand on the computer. As for German brands, the same warning applies. Learn what they mean by the terms "stainless" and "surgical."
ahem ... You forgot French

The Sabatier style kitchen knife is a very different beast to German and Japanese knives

Old 10-07-2008, 05:11 PM   #42
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaulg View Post
ahem ... You forgot French

The Sabatier style kitchen knife is a very different beast to German and Japanese knives

Wow, I just read that, and let me add-- Just because a japanese knife isn't "clad", doesn't mean it's not traditional japanese.

Honyaki (or "true-forged") knives are constructed entirely out of one material,usually high-carbon steel. They are difficult to forge and shape so they are often expensive. Honyaki knives have the greatest kirenaga, or duration of sharpness, of Japanese knives. However, because the steel is so hard, Japanese knives are quite easy to chip, crack, or break if used improperly. Also, the increased hardness makes sharpening them a real challenge. Craftsmen require a great amount of skill to forge honyaki knives and chefs need a lot of experience to use and care for them.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:22 PM   #43
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShepherd View Post
Honyaki knives have the greatest kirenaga, or duration of sharpness, of Japanese knives.
Eh? Since when? I have all types of J knives and it's the steel, not the production method. I'll put edge duration of my clad Hitachi Aogami Blue Super Steel knives against whatever you have in non-powdered steels.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #44
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Eh? Since when? I have all types of J knives and it's the steel, not the production method. I'll put edge duration of my clad Hitachi Aogami Blue Super Steel knives against whatever you have in non-powdered steels.
i was lazy, and simply pasted from www.korin.com....

that being said, nowhere in the quote does it specify a type of steel, only thats it's one piece.
Honyaki (or "true-forged") knives are constructed entirely out of one material,usually high-carbon steel
The translation of the japanese term wasn't the point, sometimes they can be a bit wonky :)

Honyaki can be made from either ao-ko or shiro-ko
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/Mi...iDXSeries.html