"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 08-24-2005, 06:35 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

Location: Rochester, New York, United States of America, North America, Western Hemisphere, Planet Earth, Sol.
Send a message via AIM to Brawnfire Send a message via MSN to Brawnfire Send a message via Yahoo to Brawnfire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Items concerning KNIVES
Talking about knives in this much detail is starting to make me feel sort of criminal. It's like when I talk about fire for lengths of time.

The Ulu for me seems to do a number on vegetables of the round variety especially. Of course, I only use it if uniformity isn't an issue; say, stir fries, vegetable curries, mixes, etc. It's a wicked sharp knife, clean cut. I can sharpen the **** out of my utility and it still won't cut as well as this thing seems to. That's probably because of its original purposes as a skinner, boner, and cuber of big ol' mammals and fish. I guess it's just, for me, a fast way to get something into ickle wee pieces.

Though, I have poor knife skills, since I was never taught to use one, I just learnt myself to cut, as my father before me did. So there's a sort of "style" we have, which is dissimilar to the curled-knuckles style of the accomplished cook. I have trouble with that. Maybe it hasn't been explained to me well.

As for getting anything sharpened in my backroom; I wish. I'd have to bring in my own sharpener, and somehow find enough time to sharpen the knife. It's a cheap little rinky-dink pizza place in a larger chain, and my job doesn't revolve around cutting so much as other prep, so I get neglected. Though I do get all the cool stainless-steel counters!

Why am I so long-winded?

Old 08-24-2005, 10:07 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawnfire
Why am I so long-winded?
You're not!

We all have our favorite knives - the ones we can handle best, feel best in our hands, and give us confidence in using them. Just look at all the other opinions on this subject in here - and the passion everyone has about their favorite!

I think most of us learned our knife skills at home ... and on our own in many cases. Learning how to keep your fingers curled under is something you learn with practice ... and every time you cut something can be a practice session. I didn't grow up doing it that way and it took me time to get used to it. But, the practice and patience did have the reward of not having to pick fingernail trimmings and bits of finger tips out of the food I was chopping.

Old 08-25-2005, 01:59 PM   #33
Master Chef

http://cheftony.altervista.org/index_file/image001.jpg
Old 08-25-2005, 02:42 PM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema

But wait! If you order in the next ten minutes we'll also send you more junk that will end up in the trash and all you have to do is pay $19.95 plus shipping and handling!
Old 04-30-2006, 09:56 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

The 1st knife I reach for when chopping, dicing, or slicing is a 14" chef's knife made by Gustav Emil Ern in the early 1900's.

My all time favorite knife (though it see's little use), is a 9" carving knife made by E.S. Hulbert & Co. From what I can tell it most likely dates to the mid 1860's. Warrented shear steel is stamped on one side. Half tang through construction, set in the one piece handle with 4 offset pins, with a lead pewter bolster which is inlayed partly into the handle.

I use to collect, the pride of my collection was a full set on Wm. Beatty butchers cleavers, from #00 which was a poultry cleaver with an 8" blade 12" overall, to the #9 beef spliter with its 16" blade and 32" overall.

Anthony
Old 04-30-2006, 10:43 PM   #36
Executive Chef

after much looking, asking, talking, trying, comparing, handling, chopping dicing fileting etc, I have gone with New West KnifeWorks. Not only are they beautiful and very fine, but come with a guarantee and service promise that makes them unique. I have been completely satisfied with the performance. These are incredibly sharp and well ballanced tools.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:09 AM   #37
Head Chef

My favorite knife is a 6" J. Marttiinin fillet knife.
[center]

[left]My dad gave it to me 46 years ago. After it spent 40 years in a tackle box, I hung it in its scabbard above the knife block. Others knives are used more often but it is the sharpest and most satisfying.

These pictures aren't my knife but the exact same knive and scabbard selling today on this site.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:10 PM   #38
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Although I have a wonderful set of Henbckles sitting on my counter top, my all time favorite knife was the one my former SO ran away with when she left: a 10-inch Friedrich Dick Chef's knife.
I finally made an executive decision (pun intended) and ordered a new set of knives: GUNTER WILHELM EXECUTIVE CHEF SERIES, which includes a 10-inch Chef Knife, an 8-inch Chef knife, an 8-inch Bread Knife, an 8-inch Carving Knife, a Paring Knife, a Utility Knife, a Meat Cleaver, an Asian Cleaver, a Meat Fork, a Sharpening Steel, and a wooden block.

So, although I can no longer claim to have a 10-inch Dick, I do have a 10-inch Willie!
Old 10-29-2006, 01:29 PM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

Them's mighty purdy knives, Caine.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:06 PM   #40
Executive Chef

LamsonSharp 8" Chef. Lifetime factory sharpening.