Pies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

User0204

Senior Cook
Okay so here we go again - Hopw to Make Pies, specifically Lamb Curry pies?

Just so you know I am not totally stupid - yeah I need to use Lamb, Curry and probably some type of Gravy so they aren't dry anddull. HOWEVER; what do I use to make the "pastry, the container if you will"?

The "container for th emeat and curry" is my main concern at this point. Some advice on what sort of Lamb, and Beef, to use might help also :)

I am geussing that Puff Pastry wont work and the only other pastgry type I know is that phylo (filo?) stuff. Is there another variety aside from making it myself, which wiull be the subject of another thread so stay tuned :)

I imagine a pie pastry, as what I would use, would be the same as what I would use for any savoury pie. Dessert pie crusts (fruits) would have a touch of sugar in th3m, but basically the same crust.

Ahh yes of course - so can you point me in thr right direction for a good "Pie Pastry" please?

I know, I'm a pain in the butt - sorry :(

1705365020158.jpeg

Thanks @Jusa appreciate it and I'll take a look in Wegmans or Wallyworld tomorrow for the pastry. As for the lamb roast I think that is now a lost cause - I destroyed it about 3 years ago so have a feeling it maybe beyond salvaging :D

Thanks @Jusa appreciate it and I'll take a look in Wegmans or Wallyworld tomorrow for the pastry. As for the lamb roast I think that is now a lost cause - I destroyed it about 3 years ago so have a feeling it maybe beyond salvaging :D
Oh I thought it was a recent thing, LOL. Yeah, that baby had a funeral!

I'm all ears .... :)
That's one thing I have to follow recipes for, baking. I will get a recipe for you, BRB.

Ok. This is for a single pie crust (9 inch) so just double the recipe if you want a top crust.

But honestly, those Pillsbury ones are pretty good, though not as good as homemade.

That's one thing I have to follow recipes for, baking. I will get a recipe for you, BRB.

Ok. This is for a single pie crust (9 inch) so just double the recipe if you want a top crust.

But honestly, those Pillsbury ones are pretty good, though not as good as homemade.

Thanks @Jusa appreciate it (y)

Yup. Be sure to check the sell-by date, though. Some of the grocery stores I frequent buy several months worth at a time, so they might be old by the time you get them. Homemade is better, but you save a good hour and there's no mess.

Brush the bottom crust and the top crust with egg wash.

I know what you mean - there is a particular store around us where you have to check the use by or best by dates all the time - especially on their meat :(

Thanks @Jusa appreciate it (y)

I know what you mean - there is a particular store around us where you have to check the use by or best by dates all the time - especially on their meat :(
Yeah, I check dates on everything anyway. I know from experience after working as a retail merchandising manager that stock people sometimes just shove the new product in and push the old stuff to the back (cans and boxes in shelf-stable area, yogurt, cheese, etc. in dairy).

Given that we just had the holidays and there was a LOT of pie making going on in November and December, chances are your pie crusts (which are in the refrigerated section, often in the dairy area) are all going to be within date.

If you ever find meat that is not in date but still looks fresh, sometimes if you take it to the meat counter they can mark the price down for you. Sometimes they will just take it from you instead and not allow you to purchase, though. Depends on the store.

Maybe I am fussy, but I steer clear of out of date stuff. Because I live in a small town I do try to let the staff know though.

Maybe I am fussy, but I steer clear of out of date stuff. Because I live in a small town I do try to let the staff know though.
I getcha. My husband is like that. He won't eat leftovers after 3 days, I am more of a "give it the smell test and nuke the hell out of it" kind of person. As far as the meat department goes, I know some stores will take out-of-date meats and repackage it with new dates. So...just depends on your store I guess.

You sound like my wife - she'll eat anything for 2 or 3 days and normally cold at that. Me, well, I'll eat left overs, depending on what it is. A roast I'll eat till it is gone, pretty much anything esle goes in the bin at the end of the following day.

I never gave the changing of use by dates a thought - now I am going to be pareticularly careful although I can't see my local store doing that, you never know though.

You sound like my wife - she'll eat anything for 2 or 3 days and normally cold at that. Me, well, I'll eat left overs, depending on what it is. A roast I'll eat till it is gone, pretty much anything esle goes in the bin at the end of the following day.

I never gave the changing of use by dates a thought - now I am going to be pareticularly careful although I can't see my local store doing that, you never know though.
Meat in clear plastic packaging is a pretty easy tell. If it's got brown spots on it, don't buy. They aren't adding dyes at a store level to make it look reddish again.

Can someone tell me where I can buy the Baking Tins to make individual serve pies please? I have tried searching everything and cant seem to find them anywhere :(

Can someone tell me where I can buy the Baking Tins to make individual serve pies please? I have tried searching everything and cant seem to find them anywhere :(
You'd want to get reusable ones. I'd get glass (pyrex). Walmart should have them.

Just checked, ours has them. They call them pie plates.

I just reread that, you want individual size. Duh sorry.

Last edited:
Amazon has many choices. Sets of 5 or 6 inch.

Or even your $ $tores will have foil disposable ones.
I'm cheap, i will wash and reuse even the foil ones several times.

I also have ceramic fluted/rippled edge ones.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom