Real Sausage Rolls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your pasta sounds great and only a few minutes to cook as well. I have seen a few movies/commercials where someone is making their own pasta and it looks complex to me and necitates a special pasta cutting machine ... not sure if I amready to go their just yet.

Bought one of those bread making machine things a long time ago then bought the bread mix already made pretty much - put it altogether, hit the button and when finished - threw it all (machine included) to the birds :) Moral of the story - going to the store is easier and quicker and almost gaurentees a good result :)

I'm gunna need a bigger kitchen ..... :(

Hmm, appliance's, lets see - I have a wisk, some plastic type food prep spoons, spatula's and um, oh yeah I have a blender thing that I use to ground up spices, grasses etc to use as scenery on my model train layout. I am geussing, I may need a few more things then ? :unsure:
It depends on whether you enjoy making the pastries and such enough to bother with it. Some people just use food processors for doughs and pasta and they aren't expensive. A good quality stand mixer not only takes up a lot of space but they are costly, and if you don't use it a lot, it just sits there looking pretty (and the mixing bowl may or may not sub in as a fruit bowl or snack bag holder sometimes, LOL).

Edited to add: here's a good pasta recipe and it's not hard to do. The author gives several ways to make it, so you can do it by hand and cut it by hand too (though probably spaghetti might be a tad more difficult since it's so thin--fettucine and lasagne noodles would be fine).

But you do need semolina flour, which I am not sure if Wegman's carries or not. Doubtful that Tops does. There are people who make it using regular all purpose flour or other flours, but in my opinion this recipe (which uses half AP and half semolina) is pretty great.

Last edited:
@Jade Emperor

Thanks mate appreciate the info - looks as though I am going to need a couple more spices/herbs :)

@Jusa

Gotta have dead horse mate - snag rolls and pies aren't anything without it :) (y)

I can tell you we love our sausage rolls here in nz.
The best I've tried was a bakery that has been sold. I asked them what they put in theirs?.
I was really surprised when they said only fresh parsley.
Mine are pretty popular around here.
100% pure ground beef. I add small onion chopped with a squirt of tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce along with chopped parsley.
500gms meat.
Wrap in pastry egg wash and cut then bake.btw I've eaten these all round the world and these are the best.

Hope that helps.

Russ

I used to make pasta every once in a while. I haven't done it in quite a while. I used whole wheat bread flour. It worked fine. I started out using egg and EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) and a bit of water, like an Italian friend had shown me. But, I found some imported Italian whole wheat pasta that tasted really good and the only ingredients in that were whole wheat flour and water. So, I tried that. I mixed in water until the dough felt right and that worked fine. For a long time, I only bothered making lasagna noodles, 'cause those are really easy to cut. The ones you have to roll up to cut can stick to themselves and make a mess. Eventually, I got a hand crank pasta machine and that does a lot of the kneading for you. Set the rollers to the widest setting and run your dough through it, fold and repeat until the dough feels nice and smooth. Let it rest and then start making it into fettuccine or whatever.

I can tell you we love our sausage rolls here in nz.
The best I've tried was a bakery that has been sold. I asked them what they put in theirs?.
I was really surprised when they said only fresh parsley.
Mine are pretty popular around here.
100% pure ground beef. I add small onion chopped with a squirt of tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce along with chopped parsley.
500gms meat.

Maybe that is the taste that I am missing in mine - using pork instead of beef? Anyway, your recipe does sound good, I'll give them ago as well - cheers mate!

Wrap in pastry egg wash and cut then bake.btw I've eaten these all round the world and these are the best.

Hope that helps.

Russ

Hmm you wouldn't be just a tad bias by any chance would you ? :-p :D

But, I found some imported Italian whole wheat pasta

Wow, you mean there is other pasta besides Barilla??????? o_O :LOL:

Next thing you'll be telling me is that Ragu and Prego aren't real sauces :)

Last edited:
Maybe that is the taste that I am missing in mine - using pork instead of beef? Anyway, your recipe does sound good, I'll give them ago as well - cheers mate!

Hmm you wouldn't be just a tad bias by any chance would you ? :-p :D
This has me thinking outside the box for sure...I'm thinking a lamb/beef mixture or a beef/pork mixture along with the herbs and spices.

Oh, BTW, Russ keeps large jugs of that "worst ever" sauce in his pantry. Most people have small bottles of Worcestershire sauce on hand...so maybe you were on to something with that idea of adding it to the mixture (I think someone else suggested that, maybe that was in the pie thread).

This has me thinking outside the box for sure...I'm thinking a lamb/beef mixture or a beef/pork mixture along with the herbs and spices.

Has me thinking now as well - a beef/lamb mix .... hmmm - I'd have to look at lamb prices first though - it is damn expensive here, well Aussie Lamb anyway.

Oh, BTW, Russ keeps large jugs of that "worst ever" sauce in his pantry. Most people have small bottles of Worcestershire sauce on hand...so maybe you were on to something with that idea of adding it to the mixture (I think someone else suggested that, maybe that was in the pie thread).

Of course I was onto something - you think I say these things just for the fun of it??? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Okay, seriously though - I do use worcestershirte sauce in my hamburgers and it does taste good, gives the burger a bit of a small kick so I can't see why it mightn't do the same for sausage rolls.

Heck at this juncture, I'm willing to try just about anything until I fluke onto something.

By the way - I bought another packet of the Puff Pastry now I need to try to find a Rolling Pin for future use ...
I have seen them at flea markets and garage sales. I inherited mine from my husband's grandmother. It's heavy and sturdy enough to knock some sense into someone!

Has me thinking now as well - a beef/lamb mix .... hmmm - I'd have to look at lamb prices first though - it is damn expensive here, well Aussie Lamb anyway.

Of course I was onto something - you think I say these things just for the fun of it??? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Okay, seriously though - I do use worcestershirte sauce in my hamburgers and it does taste good, gives the burger a bit of a small kick so I can't see why it mightn't do the same for sausage rolls.

Heck at this juncture, I'm willing to try just about anything until I fluke onto something.
I have found ground lamb here for around $5.99 lb. I only buy Aussie lamb--shhhh, don't tell @Rascal because he swears by NZ lamb only. But I have never seen NZ lamb at the markets here because NZ doesn't export them to the US I guess, they keep all the good stuff for themselves!

Sounds like just what I am looking for :) Although not sure I'd want to buy a second hand one from a garage sale though ...

Sounds like just what I am looking for :) Although not sure I'd want to buy a second hand one from a garage sale though ...
Like cast iron skillets, old ones are the best. I don't know why that would bother you, just wash it with soap and rinse it thoroughly with hot water (the rolling pin--not the cast iron).

I have found ground lamb here for around $5.99 lb. I only buy Aussie lamb--shhhh, don't tell @Rascal because he swears by NZ lamb only.

Yeah that lot are always trying to go one up on us Aussies. Maybe when they learn how to say 6 properly they might stand a chance ;) :) :)

Oh and I wont say a word to that New Zealand character either - just our secret, promise :)

But I have never seen NZ lamb at the markets here because NZ doesn't export them to the US I guess, they keep all the good stuff for themselves!

I have never seen NZ lamb here either but am VERY interested to know where you get your ground lamb from. To be honest, I have only ever looked at Lamb Roasts so perhaps ground lamb isn't all that expensive here. I'll need tpo check out Wegmans and or Tops I think. Cheers!

Wine bottles work really well. Empty or full.
Word of advice, if full be sure the cork has not been disturbed.

And chilled wine is best, so use a white.

I have to confess, I do use Ragu but also add my own spices and meat to it so while it isn't strictly a meat sauce from scratch I like to think of it as at least half scxratch made :)

Funny that you guys never see NZ lamb. I don't remember ever seeing Australian lamb here. It used to be almost all from NZ, but we see more Canadian lamb now.
I order my Aussie lamb online mostly, but sometimes I see it in the grocery stores. Occasionally I find US lamb but really not that often. Most people in US like beef, pork, and chicken.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom