Real Sausage Rolls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you use the Jimmy Dean sausage, I suggest you just try it as is the first time. If you want more flavor, you can adjust it the next time.

I just realized that I never posted this yesterday, so it may be unnecessary now, but here's a guide you can use.
-----
I think the best way to get what you're looking for is to make the sausage yourself. Here's a recipe from an Australian site that starts with simple ground pork, which is available just about everywhere: https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/po...2dc-4e95-b2aa-7a2d62a0cd14?r=recipes/xhj7c0gd

Thanks mate and they do look pretty good top me. That being said, I'll give the Jimmy Dean option a go first, would make things easier in the long run if that works. I will;however, get some Pork Sausage Meat and give that recipe a go as well - cheers!

There is a forum member @Jade Emperor who was a chef who lives in Australia. He might be able to help you with seasonings/spices, although he likely wouldn't know about sourcing particular food items here in the US. Spices and seasonings of any kind should be easy enough to find, it's just knowing what you need...also maybe @Rascal (New Zealand) might have some tips.

Also found this just now:

Thanks and hopefully one of them will chime in on this so I can ask about the seasoning. Maybe I can get him to try a 7/11 Roll and see if he can pick the seasoning they use and or spices??

Thanks for the link but our local Wegmans sells a lot of standard Aussie stuff like Vegemite and Cadbury's etc :) They're also on the expensive side of things as well, compared to other International Food sites or Aussie food sites.

Thanks and hopefully one of them will chime in on this so I can ask about the seasoning. Maybe I can get him to try a 7/11 Roll and see if he can pick the seasoning they use and or spices??

Thanks for the link but our local Wegmans sells a lot of standard Aussie stuff like Vegemite and Cadbury's etc :) They're also on the expensive side of things as well, compared to other International Food sites or Aussie food sites.
Right, I didn't browse the site. I love Wegmans! I live a little west of you but recently traveled through NY and got to go in a Wegmans. I wish we had one here.

Okay so one last question (I think) - the Aussie 7/11 rolls had a savory sort of taste to them,which is why I liked them so much. I am hopeless when it comes to using spices and seasonings so can you suggest some Seasonings that I could add (if needed) to the Jimmy Dean Sausage to get a Savory taste to the rolls?
If you can find the type of sausage you like in Australia, it would be easy to make your own sausage which is not hard to do with some ground pork (pork mince.)

I like Jimmy Dean or Bob Evans fine, but all pre-made sausages have their own spice recipes. Making your own takes about 3 minutes more than the time it takes to dump the ground pork in a bowl and add the seasonings.

Ground pork with added seasoning is probably half the cost per roll and it's a matter of mixing them together, one minute later, boom, done. I don't see the logic buying a premade seasoned sausage, and I can see that eventually the premade will inherently have a taste that you can't ever remove or change, so your ahead of the game using ground pork in every scenario and making it your recipe, exactly how you want it, your going to experiment adding different seasonings to the JD anyway. :)

I don't see the logic buying a premade seasoned sausage,

Because it is quick, easy and convenient when starting out and to try.
using ground pork in every scenario and making it your recipe, exactly how you want it

So long as you can get the ground pork which I discovered today, isn't that easy around here
your going to experiment adding different seasonings to the JD anyway. :)

That is up for grabs at the moment. Who knows, I might like the flavor of the JD Sausage as is without anything added :)

I geuss the point I'm trying make here is that I am experimenting with this. If using the JD pre seasoned sausage works for me then that is what I will use on a day to day basis so to speak. If it doesn't then I'll try to find the sausage around here and go from scratch and see what happens then. For me it is all hity and miss and amexpecting to make mistakes to begin with - trial and error but if JD stuff makes it easier for me, then that is a plus :)

@KatyCooks

Yep have quite a few options to play with. I have opted for the JD Sausage to start with and see what happens. Have the regular and maple varieties so I can mix and match if the taste of one doesn't work. I also bought some more seasoning/spices Thyme, Basil, Sage and need to get some Rosemary as well I think - anything that will give it a savory taste if the out of the box doesn't taste that great :)

Spices.jpg
Sausage meat.jpg

@Jusa - thanks for the tag!
Aussie Sausage Rolls are (sort of) great. Very often a quick lunch, with a liberal dousing of dead horse (tomato sauce or what you call ketchup!)
@wombat457 you have posted the picture of the pork sausage loaf (Jimmy Dean) - that is the stuff you want to start with. If you’re going with the traditional Aussie roll, you’re going to need quite finely minced pork, eggs, breadcrumbs and herbs and seasonings.
I avoid rosemary because it’s too strong for this.
Use dried herbs for this.
My herb blend goes like this, but it’s not really possible to give you exact quantities because it depends on how much you are making, but as a guide, this mix goes from most to least:
Basil
Thyme
Marjoram
Oregano
Sage
Parsley
Garlic powder

Salt and pepper to taste.
Sausage rolls are quite forgiving with spices and herbs, and you can use whatever blend you like. Find your own mojo blend to impress your guests.
They are also great canapés in a mini form.
Make sure the pastry is flaky. Every Aussie has their favourite, you will often hear “my auntie makes the best “ etc.
Good luck - sausage rolls are great!!

Last edited:
Because it is quick, easy and convenient when starting out and to try.

So long as you can get the ground pork which I discovered today, isn't that easy around here

That is up for grabs at the moment. Who knows, I might like the flavor of the JD Sausage as is without anything added :)

I geuss the point I'm trying make here is that I am experimenting with this. If using the JD pre seasoned sausage works for me then that is what I will use on a day to day basis so to speak. If it doesn't then I'll try to find the sausage around here and go from scratch and see what happens then. For me it is all hity and miss and amexpecting to make mistakes to begin with - trial and error but if JD stuff makes it easier for me, then that is a plus :)

@KatyCooks

Yep have quite a few options to play with. I have opted for the JD Sausage to start with and see what happens. Have the regular and maple varieties so I can mix and match if the taste of one doesn't work. I also bought some more seasoning/spices Thyme, Basil, Sage and need to get some Rosemary as well I think - anything that will give it a savory taste if the out of the box doesn't taste that great :)

View attachment 67571View attachment 67572
the more herbs you add the further you will drift from what you wanted in the first place.
maple sausage ? no way.

@wombat457
A couple of other things, which I am sure you will know, but for the international viewers I will share.
Australia is a big country and 7/11’s are everywhere. Each region will source their “trucker” food reasonably locally so even when you say that you are trying to replicate the 7/11 sausage rolls and pies, they will be very different depending on the location.
I know that where I live, there are at least two major players that supply the convenience store market and their products are each very different from the other. You can quite easily get into a fierce debate over which brand is better!
Then, of course, there are the gourmet baked goods that muddy the waters even further.

For your experiments, what I would do is grab the JD loaf, check the ingredients to see what herbs and spices they have already added and adjust from there. And yes, maple sausage? 🤮

My herb blend goes like this, but it’s not really possible to give you exact quantities because it depends on how much you are making, but as a guide, this mix goes from most to least:
Basil
Thyme
Marjoram
Oregano
Sage
Parsley
Garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste.
The Jimmy Dean's sausage wombat is looking at is available in 1/2 kg (1 lb) packages, so you could give the herb amounts for that amount of pork.

I've made my own minced pork in the food processor before. You just have to cut the pork into chunks and partially freeze them before pulsing so you don't end up with meat paste.

Back
Top Bottom