"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 08-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

I am Unequipped

So I don't have any knives. I do all my cutting with one steak knife. Is there a set someone could recommend I buy? Could you possibly include a link to them, or at least describe price, and uses of each one.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Take a look at-
Knife Guide

Old 08-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
Wine Guy

Rather than purchasing a set which may include pieces you don't need, my suggestion is to simply purchase the specific knives you will use. I own a lot of knives, but find that there are only a few that I use on a regular basis: a chef's knife, santoku, paring knife, boning/utility knife, and bread knife. Everything else just collects dust in the drawer.

As for brands, there are a lot of good ones out there. I like Shun knives myself. While there are others that may be more top-of-the-line, I like the feel, durability, and price of this brand. The blades are wicked sharp and stay sharp for a long time. My knives can go a year without resharpening, as long as I take the time to hone them once a week.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Head Chef

I find that I can get by with a chef's knife and bird beak parer. Find knives that fit your hand and feel good--buying on line might save you money, but the only way you can tell if you will like a knife is to handle it. (Back when I baked bread, I used a bread knife. Damn this low carb stuff.)
Old 08-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
Master Chef

I say to begin with you need two knives. A paring knife, 3-4" long and a chefs knife 6-8 " long. A lot of times, esspecially before holidays, I see the sale on two of those pakeged as a set, pretty reasonably priced. That is of course if you want to wait till then. If not BB&B will have them separtly, if you can find 20% off coupon they send out you will still get a good deal.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Master Chef

...or you can marry or become partners with someone who's fully equipped, with kitchen stuff, that is... :)
Old 08-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I would add a cleaver to the two knives--a good chef's knife and a paring knife. I own a lot of knives, but I use my chef-s knife (well, I have two I like) and the paring knife most often, followed by the cleaver, then the boning knife.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
You didn't mention your budget.

If your budget is very low, I would go with Amazon.com: Wiltshire StaySharp Knife Starter Set - White Scabbards: Kitchen & Dining

They aren't wonderful knives, but they aren't bad. I have a set of good knives (Henkel) and I also have the Wiltshire ones. It can be very handy to have the extra set. If you don't want to have to sharpen and steel your knives, then the Wiltshire are just the ticket.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
You didn't mention your budget.

If your budget is very low, I would go with Amazon.com: Wiltshire StaySharp Knife Starter Set - White Scabbards: Kitchen & Dining

They aren't wonderful knives, but they aren't bad. I have a set of good knives (Henkel) and I also have the Wiltshire ones. It can be very handy to have the extra set. If you don't want to have to sharpen and steel your knives, then the Wiltshire are just the ticket.
+1 I have both--Henkel and Wiltshire and Chicago Cutlery. I like my Henkel knives the best, but the others do the job (my favorite filet knife is Chicago Cutlery).

Put "knives" and the brand you want on your "birthday" or "Christmas" wish list. This is how I got most of my Christmas Tree Spode--I let my family know what pieces I wanted and they could get me whichever pieces they wanted to get me for my b'day or Christmas.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Love my Henckles.

Shrek Knifekiller is allowed to used the Faberware.