"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 11-28-2006, 09:46 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Thumbs down Knife Set For Christmas Under 200

I have been reading the posts concerning knives, which has been very interesting and informative. I want to get my son and his fiance their first set of good knives. The ones he has now are all metal and don't ask me what kind as I do not know. All I know is that they do not cut very well. I have a set of Cutco of which I have no complaints, except that they are very overpriced compared to what other top brands there are. My best knife is one my dad got for me for my wedding 35 years ago. It looks like a chicago cutlery knife with the wood riveted handle. The brand stamped on the blade says Case XX Stainless. I am leaning between the Chicago Cutlery, Heinkel or Wusthoff only because I have seen good reviews. I would like something that I could add steak knives to. Personally I like the feel of the wooden handle but would appreciate anyones suggestion.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:32 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Did you find some recommendations in the Knives forum that will help?

Can we answer some questions for you?

All three of the brands you mentioned have several lines of knives from budget prices to top of the line.

Consider not getting a set of less expensive knives and just buying three or four good quality knives that will do 99% of what you use knives for. You or they can always add more as time goes by.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks, Andy

Since I am starting from scratch and from what I have read maybe I should just get them 3 or 4 knives that they will use. I also want to get them steak knives. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what type and size to get. She is not a chef but does use alot of vegetables. She is a beginning cook. I know a paring knife is essential but what about the other 2 or 3. Also I should have a good sharpening device too, correct? Thanks for the help.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:58 PM   #4
Head Chef

A paring knife, chef's knife, serrated bread knife, and steel will do nearly everything that needs to be done in the kitchen. Eventually, some sort of sharpening strategy needs to be addressed, but that is a separate problem. Many higher end knife vendors offer lifetime sharpening; you can also look to home sharpening methods. Steak knives are a completely different thing. They come into contact with a plate regularly, so, if you don't want to sharpen them regularly, you should buy a quality serrated.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:49 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:18 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Ditto.

Buy a quality 8" chef's knife and paring knife made of forged carbon steel along with a "sharpening" steel and maybe a book or video on maintaining knives.

Next would be a long serrated bread knife. Cheap stamped versions are perfectly acceptable.

Then a set of steak knives.

Personally I like Wusthof, but watch out for the cheapest Wusthof line which uses stamped blades rather than forged. The "Classic" line from Wusthof is a safe option. I'm getting my father a Classic 3.5" paring knife as part of his Christmas present.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:44 AM   #7
Head Chef

found my best knives at a thrift shop and they are geat. It's amazing what people thow out.I have one chopping knife I love and a pearing knife that is just the best. They are old but work great.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:00 AM   #8
Senior Cook

We recently bought a set of 4 steak knives by mundial but If I had known that we could have gotten a set of 6 Wolfgang Puck steak knives from HSN for about half the cost of the Mundial that's what I would have gotten.

http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default....hp!sf!dept!181
Old 11-30-2006, 11:02 AM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Check out GUNTER WILHELM CUTLERY. I bought the 11 piece set, without the steak knives, simply because I already have two sets of steak knives and I don't care if my tableware matches my cutlery because my table is far enough away from my work area that no one is going to notice. They also sell their knives separately, but at a higher cost than if you buy the set of course, and they have lower priced pieces of less, but still good, quality.

Oh, and I have had the set for about a month and have used every knife in the block, except for the large meat cleaver.