"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 01-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Actually I gave you all the wrong URL for this sharpener. It is not the 20.00 one shown but this one:
Furi Rachel Ray Tech Edge II Pro Sharpening System - Furi Knife Sharpeners

I got it at Sur LeTable.
I know the system and I've used it. It's good and very easy to use, but whetstones give a better result.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #12
Head Chef

You'd be hard pressed to do better than the Edge Pro Apex. There's a bit of a learning curve to get really good, but the first knife you ever sharpen may well be the sharpest knife you're ever seen up til now. Once you really learn the Apex you'll get edges that really can't be beat by any other method I know of (although that may require stepping up to a glass blank & some very fine polish tapes, and/or post-it-notes and compound).

An EP is essentially the same as freehanding but more consistent.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:24 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Consider this another EdgePro endorsement. I bought my Apex before I owned a single good blade (figuring that I'd learn proper care first, then buy the good stuff one blade at a time) and have never regretted it.

You know, before I learned to sharpen, I kept one knife in the block that I never used, so that I could pull out a "factory sharp" blade in case of company or special occasion! Of course, I recently dug out the "never used" knife to find that the factory edge is a sad, sad loser compared to the sort of edge I can do now with a bit of patience, water and wet rocks!

The thing is to become a master and in your old age to acquire the courage to do what children did when they knew nothing.
---Henry Miller
Dr.Awkward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaulg View Post
I know the system and I've used it. It's good and very easy to use, but whetstones give a better result.
I can attest to the fact that a whetstone is the best way to sharpen a knife. I just never learned to use one. My father-in-law always sharpened my knives and he was good at using the whetstone. My knives were incredibly sharp. Maybe someday I'll learn the proper way to use one of those stones.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I've posted this pic before but notice the EdgePro on the left side. You'd be hard pressed to find a sharpener any better than this one for the price. When I want to cut an exact angle it's what I use. For the other 95% it's free handing all the way. The larger stones makes quick work relative to the EP and the variety of stones and angles is unlimited. No matter what method you use, whether it's an electric, pull through, EP, whatever, your knives will be made much sharper if you finish by stropping on chromium oxide charged leather. The before and after difference is simply amazing. If anyone wants to get into free handing, start a thread and ask for recommendations.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
No matter what method you use, whether it's an electric, pull through, EP, whatever, your knives will be made much sharper if you finish by stropping on chromium oxide charged leather.
Hey Buzz. I just started a thread on this here. I am very curious to learn more.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:16 AM   #17
Cook

I just rec'd my Apex Edge Pro a week or so ago. It's fantastic. I've dabbled in stones, but have never really attempted to be successful at it. (Know what I mean??) I purchased a few Japanese knives in December and knew I would have to be able to maintain their sharp edges. I have Chef's choice and Wustoff pull thru sharpeners along with my Henkles steel that I've found I was just 'making due' with. (Henckles knives only!) All of my knives are now extremely sharp, as comparted to their previous state, and I take them to the 800 stone and then the ceramic hone. I haven't even opened the 3000g tapes yet, since I'm still learning. Anyway, it's almost fool proof. My Japanese knives are a little easier to sharpen than some of my my German knives since some of the German knives have deeper bellies, like my Henckles boning knife. Not that the EP doesn't do a fine job on them, it's just not 'as easy'. I'm pretty sure this will start another obsession, seeing that in addition to the dozen kitchen knives I have, I also have a collection of pocket and fixed blade hunting knives that's approaching 150 pieces. I lamented overspending $200 on the EP for about a month. Now that I have it, I wished I would have ordered it earlier.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Some great testimonials! Thank you everyone for your advice!

On the EP, is it worth buying the coarse stone for reshaping edges? I have a Henckels Pro S 8" Chef's knife that I want to put a 15/20 edge on. Is it better to start the 15 deg. back bevel with a coarse stone?
Old 01-15-2009, 11:33 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsanX View Post
Some great testimonials! Thank you everyone for your advice!

On the EP, is it worth buying the coarse stone for reshaping edges? I have a Henckels Pro S 8" Chef's knife that I want to put a 15/20 edge on. Is it better to start the 15 deg. back bevel with a coarse stone?
Yes. You'll need it.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70chevelle View Post
All of my knives are now extremely sharp, as comparted to their previous state, and I take them to the 800 stone and then the ceramic hone.
This is something that I just don't get. I have a great deal of respect for Ben Dale, but in his video he FINISHES with a 1200 grit Idahone fine ceramic steel. What's with that? The 600 stone used in the video is 2000 grit Japanese and then he goes backwards. The new 800 stones are about 3500 grit. Don't do it. You can screw up up your edge. Use the knife without steeling and when the edge starts to go away renew it with the ceramic steel. Three light passes per side is all you need, and you can do it several times before the knife will have to be resharpened. This applies to both German and Japanese knives.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote