"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 11-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #31
Head Chef

No need to leave in a huff. I'm sure putting it on the side will work better. I still wonder if slamming the door to the fridge might not dislodge a knife but you can sure try it.

At work the knives get slapped on the magnets willy-nilly, sometimes pointed up, sometimes down. They're all 5' off the floor or more and some are mounted over other equipment so they often carrom off of stuff or flip around on the way to the floor. Plus, the mag bars we use aren't that powerful. But the biggest problem is people trying to stick too many knives on one, and crowding one off.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:32 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

I am also looking for a two-way magnetic knife holder that will go on the side of the frig. I can't seem to find one anywhere. The odd thing is, my ex has one (I think it was a gift). They do exist! (or did) In the 13 years we were together, no knife ever fell on the floor or counter, or accidentally gouged the refrigerator. It was very strong. Too bad they don't seem to be made now.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #33
Head Chef

If you cannot find a double sided magnetic strip, there should be several alternatives that would work. Unless I am totally wrong, all magnets are two sided. What makes the knife strips not stick to metal is the wood, which separates the magnet from the surface. A strip without the decorative wood should work. Just edge the strip with wood trim. There are also small super magnets about the size of a penny. Inletting a few of these on the back side of a typical knife strip would hold it in place. Also there are double sided tapes with strong adhesive that would hold the strip.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #34
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Newbie, here, and I'd intended to lurk for awhile. But had to respond to this.

All other points aside, I just bought a new double-sided mag bar. The instructions specifically say not to mount it to a metal surface.

I've no idea why that is. But thought it appropriate to pass it on.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #35
Head Chef

By double sided, do you mean it has magnetic surfaces for knives on both sides? How would it mount? If it's intended to hold knives on both sides while mounted somehow, maybe all they mean is that they don't want you to use one magnetic side to stick it to the refrigerator of other metal surface, for fear you'll pull the whole thing loose when pulling a knife off. That could cause a pretty grim sort of multi-bladed affair to come down, maybe on a foot.

However, that sort of warning is often largely legal paranoia, figuring that it could be stuck to a metal surface of a stainless steel that, because of its composition, is weakly magnetic or non-magnetic, and that would make it dangerous.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #36
Senior Cook

I bought it at a place that sells woodworking tools and equipment, GLC. What it is, in appearance, is a magnetic bar mounted between two ribbons of steel. It has side-clips which are screwed into the mounting surface.

I've used this type for years, and never noticed the caution before. In fact, I have them on the side of my tool boxes, out in the workshop, held in place just by magnetism. My bad, I reckon.

You're probably right about the warning being more about product liability than reality. But I thought it wouldn't hurt to pass it on.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
I bought it at a place that sells woodworking tools and equipment, GLC. .
Could you possibly take and post a picture, please.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #38
Senior Cook

Sorry, but I don't even own a digital camera, so can't post.

Do you have a Woodcraft shop by you? That's where I bought it.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
Sorry, but I don't even own a digital camera, so can't post.

Do you have a Woodcraft shop by you? That's where I bought it.
Use your cell phone camera. Craigslist is full of ppl selling stuff and posting cruddy cell phone pics.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown View Post
I am also looking for a two-way magnetic knife holder that will go on the side of the frig. I can't seem to find one anywhere. The odd thing is, my ex has one (I think it was a gift). They do exist! (or did) In the 13 years we were together, no knife ever fell on the floor or counter, or accidentally gouged the refrigerator. It was very strong. Too bad they don't seem to be made now.
I just received a Chef's catalog in the mail and they have the magnetic knife holders in there. www.chefscatalog.com. Depending on what you want they're priced from $30- 80.00. Hope they have what you want.