"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 09-28-2010, 12:41 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

If you want to spend Cutco money, you could really get some high end knives. Cutco are those never need sharpening (also known as can't sharpen them knives) right? Yeah they offer free "resharpening" but 20 seconds across my sharpener keeps mine sharp and I don't have to send it through the mail and wait for it to come back.

I have a Kapoosh knife block that I have used for about 3 years and it is awesome! It will hold any shape or size knife. From reading the reviews I wouldn't use the "never need sharpening" knives in one, because they would tear it up, but my Whustof knives work very well in it. This type of knife block would allow you to get any knives that you want and have them in a nice block.

Amazon.com: Kapoosh Knife Holder, Stainless Steel: Gateway

Old 09-28-2010, 02:21 AM   #22
Assistant Cook

How do these compare?
Henckels 13-pc. Forged Synergy Knife Block Set

I can find these for 110, and they are forged.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:35 AM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle0k View Post
How do these compare?
Henckels 13-pc. Forged Synergy Knife Block Set

I can find these for 110, and they are forged.
Better. Still not incredible, and like most blocks you get some waste, but it's not bad.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:32 AM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Also as someone else said, if I end up getting the 80 dollar set, I dont consider that the end all. If I end up using just the chef's knife and it becomes dull... Great Ill buy a good quality one of those and replace it in the block, and then the other ones can just sit there and look pretty.

When an $.89 cent Bic razor gets dull you toss it, but when a good knife gets dull you certainly don't replace it! That's like buying a new car because yours ran out of gas! Any decent chef's knife can be sharpened, and if you don't want to mess with stones take BigJim's advice and drop $10-$20 on an Edgemaker Pro or two. They're much better for your knives than the typical pull-thru or "V" sharpening, and so simple to use you'll never have an excuse to use a dull knife.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Ok, you guys got through to me! I've decided to do it the way you guys recommended. Yesterday I bought a cheap but really nice looking 21 piece knife set for 30 dollars from walmart. Now I want to purchase a nice Chef's knife for around 50 dollars. Prefferably black handle and three rivets, to match the rest of the set.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Ok, you guys got through to me! I've decided to do it the way you guys recommended. Yesterday I bought a cheap but really nice looking 21 piece knife set for 30 dollars from walmart. Now I want to purchase a nice Chef's knife for around 50 dollars. Prefferably black handle and three rivets, to match the rest of the set.

OK, no, we didn't get through to you. You wanted a pretty set of knives that matches your decor and we said that's not the way to go.

OK. You bought a cheap and pretty set and now want a "good" knife that looks the same.

Knives are tools, not fashion accessories. Many of the members here have knives that don't match each other, let alone the kitchen decor.

All that being said, I hope you get enjoy your purchase and that it serves you well.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #27
Cook

At home we use Henckles which have lasted well and always kept a keen edge on sharpening. But ours, though not the OP's choice, have rounded handles which prevent the knives from standing blade facing up. This is a useful safety feature.

As Mum said, choose a knife that feels well good balanced in your hand. Choose one that appeals to you best in looks. Generally, ice hardened steel that has a percentage of carbon in it will make a razor sharp edge. But if cost is a major issue, then the wide Sabatier range could be for the best.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

Woah Andy, think your getting a little serious there! Its not a fashion accessory.. But I doubt I am the only one here that puts looks into account when buying kitchen items... Most would not get a bright pink refrigerator just because its the best, unless they are very big enthusiasts, which I stated from the beginning I am not. And that actually was a bunch of peoples suggestions, if I wanted a block set, to go with something cheap and then a nice chef's knife.

I didnt say it has to look the same, but rather it would be prefferable if it resembled them. If it doesnt, not a big deal. I just asked for a couple good ones in my range.. since this is not my field but yours. If you asked me for cars in your $$ range, I can give you a list because I am a car enthusiast.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

I really do hope you are happy with your purchase. Bottom line is that you should be comfortable using the knives you bought.

My comments were in reference to your statement that you took members' advice and that we got through to you when just the opposite is true.

The theme of members' remarks throughout was to not buy a set and to not buy cheap knives. That you really only needed a few good ones.

Then you buy a set of 21 knives for $30 and say we got through to you! HUH?

No one was suggesting you should buy a "bright pink refrigerator" to get quality over quantity. Most knives are attractive and designed to appeal to the eye.

You say you're a car enthusiast. What criteria do you apply to the selection and purchase of a car? I'd guess that, in general terms, many of the same criteria would apply to the purchase of kitchen equipment.

Regardless, good luck with your new knives.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Also are there palces I can go to see and feel all these name brand knives. I know I saw them at bed bath and beyond , but they are either just in boxes or all screwed into the block. The problem is that I am 6' and my GF is 5'2"(with our hands proportionate to our heights) So I could easily go with a 10" while for her it might be too big... so we have to go and see what fits both of us the best.