"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 05-17-2005, 01:54 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Yeah, you're right Jenny.. my "goof".. the fancy handle Henckels is 5 star... I was thinking the one with the rivets showing was a "classic" but it's called something else..

Well *blush*, no matter what they are called my comments about the steel being about the same is fairly accurate... I've never played with a Wustoff Santoku (except at the store) but they seem about the same weight/balance etc. as the Henckels...

I should have added that with a Japanese knife, folks will need/want a diamond "steel" because even the finest steel "steel" will dull the blade.. I use Ben Dale's Edge Pro sharpener (not cheap) but excellent.. and he sells a 600 grit (I think) diamond "steel" cheap.. it fine tunes the edge of a Global, Shun, Mac, etc. nicely without making it dull.

Old 05-17-2005, 02:04 PM   #32
Master Chef

I just dropeed that in because there is so much specific knife talk going on here

I have a wusthof set (GP) that I love that was a gift. Over time I have added more and more individual purcjase knifes to the set. Had to buy a bigger block.

I am getting a Japanese knife next, as I have heard so many great things about them.

maybe a ceramic knife when the places that sell them will replace them when they break or the technology improves.

But if I were in Big's shoes now, I would buy a good quality chef or santuko knife that he likes and fits his hand. I'd buy a knife guard or other means to protect the edge. I'd learn how to sharpen it myself or where to have it professional maintained. Then I'd go to town cooking!

And save up and buy another type of knife when it made sense to do so. Maybe trying another brand.

Assemble your own customized set over time.

Old 05-17-2005, 02:20 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Here's the BEST info I've ever found on knives on the net.... More than anyone would ever want to know

http://forums.egullet.com/index.php?showtopic=26036

Hope I didn't accidentally violate some rule/reg here by referencing another site.. I belong to the site and know they don't mind a reference there but dont' want someone to copy/paste articles from there....