Wusthof vs Tojiro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Excellent. Tojiros usually have a very sharp factory edge. Slicing paper: This is mostly slicing as opposed to pure push cutting, but it's a good Curtis Chung video.

Heehee, I like those videos. I sliced a regular copy paper and a thinner pad paper with the Tojiro. I had to look up stropping with chromium oxide (you're making my head hurt again! :wacko: :ROFLMAO:). I'm going to wait a bit before I touch up the factory edge. Just until I get a little better...:LOL:

Heehee, I like those videos. I sliced a regular copy paper and a thinner pad paper with the Tojiro. I had to look up stropping with chromium oxide (you're making my head hurt again! :wacko: :ROFLMAO:). I'm going to wait a bit before I touch up the factory edge. Just until I get a little better...:LOL:

Your factory edge should last quite a while. When it starts to diminish, realign it with a glass smooth steel, borosicate steel, edge of a baking dish, car window, or even a Guinness glass. Another choice, although last, a fine grit ceramic rod - VERY lightly. You should be able to use that technique a few times. Once the edge will no longer come back it's time for the EdgePro. Use the magic marker trick to establish the original angle as Japanese knives are usually best left this way.

Back to stropping - you need to do it for the best edge finishing. Check this out. It's one of the better reads on sharpening and stropping. It is quite long so you might want to save it for when you're at the office rather than wasting time at home. Nuk nuk! :LOL:

just recieved my tojiro and i'm loving it, too bad i have'nt used it much as i'm in the middle of midterms right now...:)

Awesome, glad you like it too! How do you like the size? This is the largest knife I have so I'm getting used to the size. I used it the other night to cut some chicken breasts and it sliced those things like warm butter. I haven't used much of it either. I have mostly using the new Misono Molyb petty. Now I'm thinking I might "need" to get that Tojiro DP 15cm petting. :rolleyes: :cool:

Awesome, glad you like it too! How do you like the size? This is the largest knife I have so I'm getting used to the size. I used it the other night to cut some chicken breasts and it sliced those things like warm butter. I haven't used much of it either. I have mostly using the new Misono Molyb petty. Now I'm thinking I might "need" to get that Tojiro DP 15cm petting. :rolleyes: :cool:

You_are_hooked!

Monday or Tuesday I'll be receiving my Yoshikane 240 SKD Gyuto back from a rehandling job. Just wait.....

Who's doing the rehandle, Buzz?

Stefan #18 - Spalted tamarind, golden amboyna ferrule - ohhhhh LOL

Rehandle by Dave. First epoxy was last night. Sometimes it settles slightly into the handle and needs another coat to bring it up even so it'll either be in the mail today or tomorrow thus my early next week delivery.

It's the same knife shown in my avatar. I got tired of the plain Jane right handed D shape. I use this knife more than any other so I thought I'd be nice to it and dress it up real pretty like. :rolleyes: The SKD steel takes on a bunch of chopping on the Sani-Tuff without chipping and for that purpose (IMO) is better than Hitachi blue or white and most others for that matter. However, nothing so far slices like the white....

The knife I'm *really* waiting for is the new H.T. Reyerson line. I have always thought Sandvik 13C26 (or Udeholm AEB-L, same composition) would make the ultimate chef's knives for the home cook. The only mass produced knives that might be made of 13C26 are the Tojiro DPs but they aren't talking. Custom maker Phil Wilson is doing the Eugene, OR knife show this month on the 12-13th. He has a 9" AEB-L chef's and if not sold at the show I have first dibs. Problem is, he wants 4 bills + shipping and insurance and they are hardened at HRc60. Wilson's normal waiting period for a knife is a year or so. Go figure?????

H.T. is getting some new equipment for cryo treating, and thanks to a couple of family secrets given him by Larrin Thomas, he's going to be able to obtain HRc63.

Think about this; A kitchen knife sharing the same steel as gillette razor blades, capable of handling insane edge geometry, extremely hard while retaining toughness, and on top of it all it is very easy to sharpen. The beauty of it all is that they will probably be available at less than half the Phil Wilson price depending on the handle. Reyerson has some top quality wood in inventory.

I think my dream knife is in the not too distant future...... :cool:

Phil Wilson 9" AEB-L with fiddleback maple handle

Attachments

• Phil Wilson Chef Knife.jpg
    Phil Wilson Chef Knife.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Very nice, Buzz!

Phil Wilson sent that pic to me. He told me that the Eugene show is not too hot for kitchen cutlery sales and thinks it will be available mid-month. It would probably cost me $420 total. The Reyerson knives are likely going to be BETTER for about half that price so I'll probably turn down the PW if it becomes available. Here's a similar Wilson. More on that same knife.

Using a light touch with the EdgePro? ;)

Last edited:
You bet! I've got the Chicago Cutlery knife slicing paper now.

Did you try the polishing tapes or did you stop with the 800 stone?

You can make all your knives slice or push cut much better by stropping with .5 micron liquid chromium oxide from Dave. It will polish nicely if applied to a leather strop but there is less chance of rolling the edge if you apply it to paper on glass because there is virtually no give. There is a required technique but it is a snap to learn.

Buzz

Stefan #18 - Spalted tamarind, golden amboyna ferrule - ohhhhh LOL

Rehandle by Dave. First epoxy was last night. Sometimes it settles slightly into the handle and needs another coat to bring it up even so it'll either be in the mail today or tomorrow thus my early next week delivery.

So you're the &$%^@ that got #18!:ROFLMAO: That's a beauty! I'm really considering purchasing something from that gorgeous stock of handles.

The knife I'm *really* waiting for is the new H.T. Reyerson line. I have always thought Sandvik 13C26 (or Udeholm AEB-L, same composition) would make the ultimate chef's knives for the home cook. The only mass produced knives that might be made of 13C26 are the Tojiro DPs but they aren't talking. Custom maker Phil Wilson is doing the Eugene, OR knife show this month on the 12-13th. He has a 9" AEB-L chef's and if not sold at the show I have first dibs. Problem is, he wants 4 bills + shipping and insurance and they are hardened at HRc60. Wilson's normal waiting period for a knife is a year or so. Go figure?????

Do you make it onto his "Original Seven" list? I sure wish I had. Bums me out- I asked almost instantly after he posted his intentions, and I've already purchased two knives from him...:ermm: Oh, well. No big deal, I'll just get a later one. I think he's gonna build a couple of my Dream Knives, too. My idea for the perfect gyuto is a cross between the belly, offset and bolster area of a Shun Classic with the basic handle shape of a Hattori Forum Knive, but executed in something more exotic. His latest batch of steel sounds awesome. One of the knives I got from him is handled in something like burled maple...can't recall the exact wood but it's beautiful. With some tiny bit of remorse I gave it to my Dad for his birthday.:LOL:

HT is definately an up-and-comer. I hope to purchase a fair bit of his work in the years to come.:wub:

One of the knives I got from him is handled in something like burled maple...can't recall the exact wood but it's beautiful. With some tiny bit of remorse I gave it to my Dad for his birthday.:LOL:

You've aleady purchased two knives from H.T.? What kind of knives? How did you even hear of him? By the way, he loves the 13C26, and can grind a knife in one third the time it took with the S30V. :)

You've aleady purchased two knives from H.T.? What kind of knives? How did you even hear of him? By the way, he loves the 13C26, and can grind a knife in one third the time it took with the S30V. :)

Nothing fancy, some Green River skinners that he custom handled for my Dad's birthday. I actually just PMed him right when he signed up on KF.

I think the 13C26 will make great kitchen knives.

Back
Top Bottom