"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 05-05-2006, 10:42 AM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Comparing Charcoal Smokers

I have been considering the purchase of a smoker for a while. My Weber gas grill just doesn't cut it.

I happened to go to a grand opening of a local hardware store and saw a smoker for $39. I had no idea they were this inexpensive!

Now, the question is: is this worth getting this Brinkmann Smoker for $39.00

...or is it a piece of junk and I have to lay out $250. for this Weber ?

I don't expect to do a lot of smoking, it will be occasional. It's just another aspect of cooking I'd like to experience. Besides, I love ribs and pulled pork and I already have a recipe for a kick butt BBQ sauce.

I'd really appreciate the recommendation of you knowledgeable folks.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:59 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

I can't give you any real advice Andy, but if it were me I would get the Brinkmann. It is cheaper than a tank of gas

Old 05-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
Head Chef

Well, since I'm the owner of a propane smoker I can't speak from first hand knowledge, but from what I've gathered while scouring BBQ sites for ideas and recipes, the consensus I've found is that the "El Cheapo Brinkman" as it is known, will require modifications to become a reliable smoker (As far as temp control and such), but it will work.

The Weber smokeymountain, however, is almost unanimously reagrded as a superior, turn key product.

Some good websites for information are:

http://www.randyq.addr.com/
and
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/index.html

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks, John, really good info.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:15 PM   #5
Head Chef

Hi Andy, I have the Brinkmann that you linked to. Found it at a garage sale for $5. I actually like it. Please take my feedback with a grain of salt. I'm not an avid smoker like others on this forum. I just do it once in a while and wanted to expand my cooking methods. I would honestly never buy any Brinkmann grills because like people say, it is cheap.

I have never used any other smoker so have no way of comparing different brands or styles. I have used it only for pulled pork and smoked beef short ribs.

If you're not going to use it a lot, why not got the cheaper route. If after a while you find that it doesn't suit your needs and you smoke more, then maybe it'll be time to upgrade. You may find that for a once in a while, non-competitive thing, it'll be good for that.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:23 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks, I appreciate your sharing your experience.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

I know this is a few days old post, but I wanted to add that you have to use the Brinkman smoker on concrete or some other non-combustable surface -- and NOT your deck. There's a little whole in the bottom of the firepot that drops hot coals out. I know this from experience, I saw a ton of smoke out my back window when I was using mine, and thought, 'Wow, that's a real smoker!'. But really, my deck was burning. It could have been bad had I not noticed the smoke.

My advice: Go for an electric or propane fired smoker.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:38 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

I'm a newbie to smoking. I have the Brinkman Gourmet smoker. This weekend will be my first smoke. I have read about not putting the smoker on your deck, but I have mine set up on cinderblocks with a cement pad on top on my deck. Should I have any problems with this setup?
Old 05-19-2006, 01:28 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

How large of an area does the cement cover?

You want to be careful of burning embers coming out of the smoker. You should be OK, but you might want to stay by the smoker with a fire extinguisher and a cooler full of beer
Old 05-19-2006, 02:45 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Thanks for your response. The pad is 24" x 24" x 1" thick and is sitting on 6 regular sized cinder blocks.