"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 03-23-2007, 11:19 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to AlexanderCrane
Burying

It sounds primitive, I suppose. Has anyone tried it?

Old 03-23-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
Executive Chef

What are you talking about? You mean like kimchi?

Old 03-23-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Kimchi, what are you talking about? hehe

Like burying food in the ground for preservation through the winter?
Old 03-23-2007, 11:46 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Being a funeral director, you creeped me out for a second. The word 'burying' affects me immediately, and I'm not thinking food.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Alex Grey worked in a morg, he's my favorite artist. AlexGrey.com I think you in particular will love this guy.

My family is from the south, and my parents grew up gardening and eating fresh foods. I am trying to revive that.

Burying to me seems a natural and energy efficient way to store food. I'm surprised people don't have this technique applied more often.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:38 PM   #6
Executive Chef

We tried it one year, had the fatest mice in the neighborhood, never tried it again. We do leave carrots in the ground right where they grow and cover them for winter, that has worked very well. We do it in various places in the garden, that way the mice do not find them all. But root cellaring is a much more reliable way to over winter veggies in my opinion.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
Everymom

Beth, how do you manage that with your carrots? Do you not get much snow? Does the ground not freeze where you are? I'd love to try that, but it gets pretty cold here and I think the ground would be frozen thus destroying the carrots.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
Executive Chef

The ground does freeze here every winter, so we put large flakes of hay on top and around the carrots. We plant a double row of carrots, far enough apart so we can hoe in the middle, and use quite a bit of hay to cover them. We raise our own hay so this in no problem for us. This year I tried using old sleeping bags to cover parsley and spinach and they also kept the ground from freezing. Would think newspapers, rugs, anything would work. It keeps the carrots very well, no rotting or anything. If the carrots would freeze, they would be ruined.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:01 PM   #9
Everymom

Hmmmm. I will have to think about that. I had about 30lbs of carrots in my fridge at one point. They actually kept pretty well, but fresher would be better. Thanks beth.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:54 PM   #10
Master Chef

The closest I came to burying food was during my misspent youth. I was housesitting during the winter holidays for a friend & the fridge/freezer went out.

The idea of warm champagne, gin & tonics, caviar, etc., was unthinkable, so we buried the liquor & tonic outside in the snow, & put the caviar, vegetables, etc., etc., in a well-fortified wheelbarrow in the garage.