"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 03-04-2008, 09:15 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Freezing herbs question

Misty posted about freezing basil in fresh water to keep it fresh. i really, really, really like this idea. Do you guys think this can be done with other veggies?

Old 03-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Do you mean other herbs? Yes, you can do it with other soft herbs, like parsley, cilantro, etc. Herbs like rosemary, thyme, and sage would be better dried, I think.

P.S. It would be a good idea to use a title more descriptive of the question, like Need info about freezing herbs. You're more likely to get more answers. I haven't seen Misty's post so I didn't know what your title meant.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Do you mean other herbs? Yes, you can do it with other soft herbs, like parsley, cilantro, etc. Herbs like rosemary, thyme, and sage would be better dried, I think.

P.S. It would be a good idea to use a title more descriptive of the question, like Need info about freezing herbs. You're more likely to get more answers. I haven't seen Misty's post so I didn't know what your title meant.
sorry, your right. I'm new at this forum thing. I ahve had a computer for 6 years now, and this is my first forum website.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:02 AM   #4
Cook

I thought freezing the herbs would make them lose texture and taste?
Old 03-07-2008, 01:22 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I freeze parsley all the time... Not in water though. I just cut away the stems and freeze the leaves in a baggy. It keeps just fine.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:38 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I chop my parsley fine, then put it into ice cube trays, freeze..Then pop the cubes out into baggies and when I'm making soups or sauces and can't get to the store for fresh I haul these out and use the amount I want..Garlic can be done like this as well..also basil,mint, oregano, marjoram..cilantro..

kadesma
Old 03-12-2008, 02:50 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Frozen Spices (herbs)

Misty gave me the idea when she posted it here. I froze some Taragon in a bag of water. I used it today and it was as fresh I the day I bought it. Others should give this a try.

THANK YOU MISTY
Old 03-12-2008, 09:29 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Just to be a bit picky , tarragon is an herb. Herbs are the green leafy parts of plants (parsley, cilantro, basil, etc.). Spices are dried seeds, fruit, roots or bark of plants (pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.).

I've been using that technique for years. I like to whiz up an herb with water in the food processor, then make ice cubes with the mixture. Then you can just grab a cube or two to add it to a recipe.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:36 AM   #9
Master Chef

Yes, I think you mean herbs.

Though some people keep spices in the freezer to proling their life.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:33 PM   #10
Sous Chef

I pop my fresh herbs in the food processor with a little olive oil. Then I freeze 'em in cubes like GotGarlic. It's nice to add a burst of freshness to a dish at the end. Also freeze leftover tomato paste in cubes, and chicken stock.

Thanks for the tip about the water, PastaKing. That sounds like a better idea. Then I'm not committed to using the oil along with my herbs! Much better for soups & stews, I'd say.

Also, I like lemon verbena from the garden in my Iced Tea in the summer. You gave me an idea: This season, I'll freeze some in cubes to add to my tea all through the cold months, as well!