ISO help w/Ball Sure Tight lids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhilipBJR

Assistant Cook
I’m new to canning and was making pickles today. I followed the recipe exactly and loaded my pickles into Ball Wide mouth jars with Sure Tight lids. The recipes I had read mentioned that you would know that the canning was good if the concave lid was depressed after a time. The Sure tight lids are not raised in the center. How do I know if my canning was good and I’m good to let it rest for a few weeks? Sorry to be so naive.

I do a lot of canning. I use all the most common lids and I believe the sure tight lids are just the same as all the others. The convex-ness or concave-ness of the lid is quite slight. Sometimes it is hard to see whether a lid is convex or concave, it is quite slight. One tip is to put a marble on the lids after canning. The lid starts out convex, the marble will sit at the side of the lid, then when it becomes concave, the marble moves to the middle of the lid. After processing pickles in a waterbath, and as they begin to cool, the lids will make a familiar pinging noise as they go from convex to concave. It is important to leave the lids alone as the jars cool and not force a seal. I hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom