Jam Help....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

River Cottage

Assistant Cook
Bonjour, tried making my first ever Jam a few weeks back from Blackberries.

I added berries to a pint of water added sugar and lemon juice and liquid pectin. Bought to a simmer for 20 mins bought to the boil but was still runny.
I thought it might set after it cooled down in the jars.
I checked this morning and they are still runny, can I re-boil or add something to each jar etc to help make them set ??

Merci
Richard

Richard, I think you might have to reboil. But I have to be honest here, I don't know how that would affect the final outcome. This is the jam recipe I use for raspberries and blackberries. You will note that it boils for a few minutes. I think that is key to getting the jam to set correctly. Hopefully someone else will have more insight for you. I'm pretty new to canning myself. I love it, but I'm not great at it.

6 cups berries (closely packed)
6 cups white sugar

Put berries in a pot and mash as they heat. Bring to a FULL rolling boil for 2 minutes. Add warmed sugar. Bring again to full boil for 1 minute. Remove and beat with Dover beater (egg beater) for 4 minutes. Pour into clean sterilized jars and seal fingertip tight.

Jam Help

Hi,

I think the problems may be with the water. I've just started jam making myself and I had the opposite problem where there wasn't enough fluid - I had a very black pan on Saturday! All of the recipes i have used so far haven't included water but relied more on the wetness of the fruit. I was talking to a lady at a farmers market the other day and she said if you are using a dryish fruit it won't harm to add a tiny bit of water but keep it minimum. When the fruit is crushed it normally adds a bit of moistire. Another tip I have found helps is using proper jam sugar - it seems to melt very quickly and gives a nice texture. Good luck with it all - it's not easy - it's good fun but it tests my patience at times. Hope this helps.

Soundsd like you need to cook that jam longer. Bring back to a boil very slowly, and then cook, can't tell for how long. You'd have to test.

Back
Top Bottom