Mason Jars used on Blenders?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngieB4

Assistant Cook
I've seen videos of people using their Blenders with a Mason Jar on top. Does this work with all Blenders or just certain models? Thanks for any help you can provide! :)

If the screw-on blade holder screws onto the Mason jar, you're all set. If it doesn't fit, you must omit.

I've done it but I really can't recommend it. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

You need to be very, very careful using a jar instead of the original blender container.

Don't use hot liquids in them because the steam cannot escape and the jar could explode.

Don't overfill the jar, leave room for expansion.

Don't use the jars to chop hard things like ice, nuts, etc... that could shatter the jar.

Always cover the mason jar with a kitchen towel to contain the blast in case it explodes.

Last edited:
What Aunt Bea said. I have had mason jars crack into pieces just by putting them in hot water. That is not a very reliable product for safety.

What Aunt Bea said. I have had mason jars crack into pieces just by putting them in hot water. That is not a very reliable product for safety.
Subjecting any kind of glass to hot water can cause heat shock and breakage. That phenomenon is not unique to Mason jars.

Keep in mind that mason jars are used for canning. They go into hot water, and maintain a slight pressure differential after canning.

Thermal shock is due to a rapid temperature changes within the object, which results in different amounts of expansion / contraction. In a home environment this can be due to putting a hot object into cold water, or heating over an open flame. Simply heating a jar in a water bath won't cause thermal shock. By the way, the original pyrex glass (borosilicate glass) has a very low coefficient of thermal expansion, making it much more resistant to thermal shock.

I wouldn't try to pulverize ice cubes in a mason jar, but regularly blend small quantities of marinades, sauces, etc. in mason jars. It's a lot more convenient than using a mini chopper, especially with liquids. Some of the comments on the youtube videos cautioned that pressure can build up in a sealed mason jar on a blender, but I don't understand how blending in an enclosed environment can cause an increase in pressure (at least not with food products, anyway).

I have one mason jar that won't quite screw all the way down on the blender base, so it won't seal properly. It's seemingly identical to other jars that seal properly, so there must be a tiny variation between the jars. If you look at replacement parts for Oster blenders, they say that they will fit almost all Oster blenders, so I'm assuming that mason jars will work with pretty much every Oster blender.

Keep in mind that mason jars are used for canning. They go into hot water, and maintain a slight pressure differential after canning.

Thermal shock is due to a rapid temperature changes within the object, which results in different amounts of expansion / contraction. In a home environment this can be due to putting a hot object into cold water, or heating over an open flame. Simply heating a jar in a water bath won't cause thermal shock. By the way, the original pyrex glass (borosilicate glass) has a very low coefficient of thermal expansion, making it much more resistant to thermal shock.

As a canner, I know that [emoji2] When canning, they are supposed to be heated and sterilized before being filled with hot food and immersed in boiling water. If that isn't done, and/or there's a flaw in the glass, it can break.

Just for fun: https://youtu.be/2sPStGlFOts

Last edited:
I've seen videos of people using their Blenders with a Mason Jar on top. Does this work with all Blenders or just certain models? Thanks for any help you can provide! :)

I believe that this is unique to Oster blenders. My niece asked for one, Oster specifically so that she could use Mason Jars.

About mason jars. We use them for storing canned food, refrigerated food, almost all pickles and sauces, drinking glasses in 3 sizes. Ball makes food storage lids for regular size and large mouth size, plastic one piece jar lids that screw on and seal tightly. These are so handy, I use them every day. I have also heard that certain peanut butter jar lids are exactly the size of a mason jar, though I must buy the wrong peanut butter since I haven't found them - yet.

I have an oster blender but I've never had reason to use a mason jar instead of the blender pitcher.

I wouldn't use one as a regular replacement but my father loved to take a quart jars of tomatoes he and my mother had canned and pop them on the blender to make tomato juice.

Back
Top Bottom