Question about B&B pickles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
My son-in-law came to me with a question about bread & butter pickles today, and I really couldn't give him a good answer off-hand.
He'd bought a B&B pickle mix in the past that made "instant" bread & butter pickles...no waiting.
These pickles are not canned.

Have any of you heard of anything like this?

Well, I've Googled it, and can't find a thing.

Perhaps he's talking about a refrigerator pickle? I've made those lots of times, but I always let them stand a while.

This isn't from a 'mix', but they are instant, no canning involved - well instant, but I'd suggest letting them cool! :rolleyes:

Bread & Butter Pickles

2 cups light brown sugar
2 cups cider vinegar
1/4 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
10 whole cloves
10 allspice berries
1 3/4 pounds Kirby cucumbers -- sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick (about 6 cups) or whatever kind you prefer
2 medium yellow onions -- thinly sliced

In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard seeds, turmeric, cloves and allspice and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt.

Add the cucumbers and onions and simmer over moderate heat, stirring a few times, until the cucumbers darken, about 5 minutes.

Remove from the heat. Let cool, then refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.

MAKES ABOUT 6 CUPS

In the past I tried a mied pickle pk and it was awful. I tried a dill and sweet mix, both were awful. Making your own mix is the best weather your canning them or making the frige kind.Just my opinion.

Constance said:
My son-in-law came to me with a question about bread & butter pickles today, and I really couldn't give him a good answer off-hand.
He'd bought a B&B pickle mix in the past that made "instant" bread & butter pickles...no waiting.
These pickles are not canned.

Have any of you heard of anything like this?

Instant pickle mix. Hmm. I think I'll pass on that one...

First let me ask you what "Bread & Butter Pickles" are, because I haven't got a clue, although I have feeling they're some sort of cucumber/onion/ bell pepper/ spice concoction, sort of like a mildly spicy chutney.

secondly, and depending on the answer to my first question, I'm sure I can find you a recipe!

As a follow-up to the above "story", I found the refrigerator B&B pickle recipe that my neighbor gave me years ago. She used not only cukes, but other vegies as well.
Son-in-law was delighted, as he picked over 20 lbs. of cucumbers today. He plans to make the pickles and store them in the "beer fridge" in his garage.

1 ga Cucumbers & onions (sliced)
4 c White sugar
1/3 c Pickling salt
4 c White vinegar
1 1/2 ts Tumeric
1 1/2 ts Mustard seed
1 1/2 ts Celery seed

Thinly slice the cucumbers and onions into a gallon jar. Heat the other ingredients in a large pot. Pour over the vegetables. Store covered in the refrigerator. New vegetables may be added at any time.
Keeps for 4 months. (I have kept them much longer.)

Now he's wanting a good refrigerater dill pickle recipe. Does anybody have one?

I make what we call "Ice Cream Pickles" Only because we keep them in the fridge in old ice cream buckets. We've eaten them the next day, if you wait a few, they are better, and they keep for ages in the fridge.

2 cups white vinegar
2 tablespoons pickling salt
3 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon celery seed
2 large english cucumbers; washed & thinly sliced
2 large onions; peeled & thinly sliced

Ice Cream or Barrel Pickles. The brine will be enough for about 2 english cucumbers that have been washed and sliced thinly. Or you can use whatever kind of cukes you have. The recipe is very forgiving. I don't peel them. and two onions, sliced thinly. A mandoline works great for this.

Bring vinegar, salt, sugar, mustard seed and celery seed to a hard boil, then take off heat and let cool to luke warm:

Pour over the cukes and onions, put in a large ice cream container, and keep in fridge. Let set for a couple days. They keep for months. If you want to give some away, just put it in jars.

Constance said:
As a follow-up to the above "story", I found the refrigerator B&B pickle recipe that my neighbor gave me years ago. She used not only cukes, but other vegies as well.
Son-in-law was delighted, as he picked over 20 lbs. of cucumbers today. He plans to make the pickles and store them in the "beer fridge" in his garage.

1 ga Cucumbers & onions (sliced)
4 c White sugar
1/3 c Pickling salt
4 c White vinegar
1 1/2 ts Tumeric
1 1/2 ts Mustard seed
1 1/2 ts Celery seed

Thinly slice the cucumbers and onions into a gallon jar. Heat the other ingredients in a large pot. Pour over the vegetables. Store covered in the refrigerator. New vegetables may be added at any time.
Keeps for 4 months. (I have kept them much longer.)

Now he's wanting a good refrigerater dill pickle recipe. Does anybody have one?

Okey doke... my recipe is similar, although I have no idea how much a "gallon" of cukes is; I do about 5 kgs at a time ( 11 lbs) and add 1.5 kgs onions, chopped fine, 500 gms red bell pepper, diced, 2 kgs white sugar, about 750 ml white wine vinegar, and your spices, although I keep the turmeric to a minimum ( I only use about half a tsp - just to add a little colour, not to make them bright yellow!) use more black mustard seeds, less celery seed and 50 gms sea salt.
I've found that if you dice the cukes first, sprinkle them with the sea salt and allow them to leach out their water, the pickle is sort of smoother.

cliveb said:
Okey doke... my recipe is similar, although I have no idea how much a "gallon" of cukes is; I do about 5 kgs at a time ( 11 lbs) and add 1.5 kgs onions, chopped fine, 500 gms red bell pepper, diced, 2 kgs white sugar, about 750 ml white wine vinegar, and your spices, although I keep the turmeric to a minimum ( I only use about half a tsp - just to add a little colour, not to make them bright yellow!) use more black mustard seeds, less celery seed and 50 gms sea salt.
I've found that if you dice the cukes first, sprinkle them with the sea salt and allow them to leach out their water, the pickle is sort of smoother.

Clive, when I used to can B&B's, back in the dark ages, I first put the sliced cukes in a big bowl, salted, and covered with ice for a certain time. I believe I then rinsed them before putting in the canning solution.
Personally, I like the traditional spices, but I'd probably like your pickles even better. :chef:

Clive,
a US gallon = 3.785 liters
or
a gallon = 4.546 litres

Perhaps you will understand the conversion.:huh:

My recipe is similar to the last two, but calls for apple cider vinegar. I think it tastes better than the white vinegar.

Half Baked said:
Clive,
a US gallon = 3.785 liters
or
a gallon = 4.546 litres

Perhaps you will understand the conversion.:huh:
So how do you get a solid ( cucumber) into a liquid (gallon/litre) measure?:wacko:

licia said:
My recipe is similar to the last two, but calls for apple cider vinegar. I think it tastes better than the white vinegar.

You're probably right there, licia.
Cider vinegar is exorbitantly expensive over here, though, which is the only reason I don't buy it.

Back
Top Bottom